Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #11 
MSG

IMO a nano tank is anything under 15G.

The standard 10G glass tanks that are the most popular are not marketed as "nanos" because they're so common.
  • If you seriously consider the size & limitations of what you can house in them.... a 10G is a nano.
The 12 gallon iron glass rimless tanks that are well "aquascaped" are what sort of set off the 'Nano" craze.

The most ideal scaped tanks are decorated with natural elements/materials & not cluttered up with artificial looking psychedelic painted ornaments.
  • As for the acrylic tanks, the best looking & most durable designs are NOT usually found in the nationwide chain stores.
  • For the cheap tanks, yes, they definitely can discolor after a few years. The low end tanks are NOT designed to last LONG.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #12 
SolomonFinch

I was thinking "nano" in the sense of the teacup size hells I see selling everywhere.
After my goldfish, etc, I dont have room for 3 15 gallon tanks.... I dont know that I have ever SEEN a 15 gallon, Ive seen 10 and 20 (and larger), and maybe a hexagonal, Jules Vern-ish, steampunky 12 gallons.
But no 15.
So far as decor, I do have 2 psychdelic crazy looking aquariums (for my kids amusement, and the fish/invertabrates are very healthy) but my fancies and bettas are definatly more reserved naturalistic decorated tanks. But I don't see what you are driving at so far as decor. That's a personal decision, so long as the decor is meant for an aquarium and is functional and safe for the fish.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #13 
Matilda

I don't really have a preference for acrylic over glass or vice versa. I've had both & both have worked out fine for me. Neither will harm your betta.

Where is this delightful $20 deal you're thinking of getting?
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #14 
SolomonFinch

wall to wall mart ;)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #15 
DiiQue

What kit specifically were you planning on getting? Are they the Tetra 1.5g units? I have one of those and quickly grew tired of it and moved to a bigger tank. I found the small space limiting to decorate (especially after seeing all the nice planted tanks here).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #16 
SolomonFinch

The five gallon one.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #17 
Fishybitty

I like both. The only problem I have with acrylic is fingering prints getting smudged all over. Lol
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #18 
SolomonFinch

I change water so much I ALWAYS have spots on my glass, when I try to take pics...my tanks look dirty...even though they are very clean.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #19 
DiiQue

So did you buy them yet? =)

I have an 8 gal acrylic tank right now. No complaints and haven't scratched it yet (though it did come with some minor ones out of the box). I would have gone glass if it weren't for the fact that I wasn't sure if they would survive being mailed overseas to my location.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #20 
Matilda

The Hawkeye one? Looks like they raised the price dang it all! Still not a bad deal. I like the other Hawkeye one too.
Matilda is offline   Reply With Quote