Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #31 
carbonxxkidd

I did get some MTS for free from Petsmart, only like 5 though and to be honest they don't seem to be very active! I check random hours at night and only see a couple not moving on top of the substrate so not sure what's going on with them. As fr clippings, I might take you up on that sometime! I need to wait and see how the plants I currently have are going to do first though, haha.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I should do a water change tomorrow then or wait for Saturday (the two week mark)? I'm actually pretty impressed with the fact that all my levels are 0...I have 8 females, 3 otos and a baby betta (in breeder box) in the tank right now!
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #32 
AK Fresh Water

Where on earth did you get that awesome tank?
I'm very into its shape.
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #33 
AK Fresh Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for a water change schedule? I was originally planning on doing 25-50% a week, but someone on this forum told me to wait a month before doing my first water change.

It's been 8 days since my tank was planted, and I am beginning to notice what I believe to be diatoms in the water/on the tank glass. If I put my arm in the tank and wipe it off with a paper towel afterwards, there are brown spots on the paper towel from the surface of the water. I was thinking about just going ahead and doing a water change tomorrow, making sure I vacuum out most of my dead plant matter, but wanted to get opinions first.

My tank is also starting to give off a slight odor when I open the lid, it's not terrible but enough that I notice it when I'm feeding the fish, I'm thinking it's probably due to the melted/decaying plant material. All my fish seem happy and healthy, but the water is a little hazy still and I'm a bit worried.

I've tested the water and everything (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) is at 0, so the plants are doing their job, but the tank was also started using filter floss from an established tank (pretty sure the tank was basically instantly cycled). The piece of floss my mom gave me was pretty filthy when I put it in my filter so I plan on rinsing that with old tank water on my first water change.
Weekly water changes are perfectly fine! I have no idea why someone would recommend waiting an entire month.
AK Fresh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #34 
carbonxxkidd

That's what I figured too! The only reason I could think of was to give the plants a chance to root or something. I am hesitant to clean the tank though because I came home from work to find I finally have crystal clear water! It will be cleaned tomorrow, I have very bad lighting in the part of my house where the tank is and have been busy with my new rescue today :X

The tank was purchased by my mom at a LFS like 10 years ago, or more. They don't make this tank anymore, it's an Oceanic. Too bad, because it is an awesome tank! I feel like I have one of a kind now though, which is pretty awesome, haha.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #35 
OrangeAugust

I'm just over here fangirling because you named your fish after characters from "Fringe". You'll see my excited comments on your pics from when I realized it. lol
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #36 
carbonxxkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I'm just over here fangirling because you named your fish after characters from "Fringe". You'll see my excited comments on your pics from when I realized it. lol
FRINGE IS MY FAVORITE SHOW OF ALL TIME
omg.
I've cried every episode of season 5 so far.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #37 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
FRINGE IS MY FAVORITE SHOW OF ALL TIME
omg.
I've cried every episode of season 5 so far.
Season 5 has been a little too heavy for me, but still a great show.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote