Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #11 
Vizja13

Alright, got some pics, off to upload them in a minute.

Double checked the light, that is what I use. Also found a receipt from when I got algae chips for the oto (which I'll address in a second Chocolate :) ) and the tank is actually around 7 mos old, same lighting/substrate and still in the terra cotta (sp?)

To Chocolate: The oto I have was from a suggestion made by a friend of mine who is a successful betta breeder/keeper/shower (is that a word?). She told me she has been successful keeping them in all her tanks, and alone. Sadly, I don't have a 20 gal (so wish I did, but there's only so much space in here), and worry that the bioload on a 5.5 with more otos would put the cycle out of balance. He seems to be doing fine...so I'm not totally sure what to do with what you say. I've had him nearly as long as the rest of the tank. Probably 6, not 7 months.
Vizja13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #12 
sandybottom
Reference Team

if it grew really fast then stopped growing, it probably is root bound and needs to be trimmed or put in a larger pot. are there roots coming out of the pot bottom?they have huge root systems.
sandybottom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #13 
aemaki09

Oto's arent required to be kept in schools. Sure they would like that, but they can do just fine and even thrive by themselves. I know many succesful fish keepers that only have 1/tank too!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #14 
Vizja13

Oi. Won't let me put the pictures in an album hold on.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #15 
Vizja13

http://s1204.beta.photobucket.com/us...library/Bettas

There's all the pictures of both tanks...you can see the growth of both the Java Ferns and the Sword. Ignore the tank with the divider I just wanted to put all the pictures up at the same time. The current layout, the Sword is in front of the filter/heater, which is a new setup. Just did it yesterday.