Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

You can baffle the hell out of it but it makes so much noise >.< I would go with a sponge. An airpump cant possible be any louder then the aquatech
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #12 
MadameDesu

Ohhh, the noise issue seals the deal. I loved my Whisper 3i because it was quiet. I guess I'll have to go with a sponge filter then.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #13 
logisticsguy

I have become a huge fan of sponge filters with betta fish. Converted all my 10g and smaller tanks over to them with lots of plants. My big tanks have HOB plus sponge filters. I just season them up in a big cycled tank for a week or 2 and put them in the new tank. They dont break down, cheap, have almost no waterfall effect so no baffles needed. If its good enough for 100+ baby betta it should work fine for the adults too. It surprises me more people do not use them in small tanks. Is there a reason for the reluctance of some betta keepers?
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #14 
MadameDesu

My reluctance was due to worries about mechanical filtration not being good enough.
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #15 
Tikibirds

I don't know if they are all that loud or if its just this one. She had the setup for a few years - so it may just be age related. I got her a 20G tank and a aquaclear filter and took her 10G and the aquatech. I have an tetra 10i and an aqueon quietflow 10 in my bedroom - both are pretty quiet but the aquatech one made such a racket. I think I may go with a sponge filter for the 5G as well since I do have an airpump laying around.

I think people may see sponge filters as being out dated. Plus I have only seen the actual sponge filter for sale online. Airpumps and tubing I can get anywhere but walmart, petco and petsmart don't seem to carry sponge filters.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-03-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #16 
happypappy

Sponge filters --- no worries about tails getting caught in the uptake!!!!!
I am going to switch all my betta tanks to sponge filters. Does anyone have recommendations for 2.5 and 3 gallon??
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #17 
angelfish11788

Quote:
Originally Posted by happypappy View Post
Sponge filters --- no worries about tails getting caught in the uptake!!!!!
I am going to switch all my betta tanks to sponge filters. Does anyone have recommendations for 2.5 and 3 gallon??

as long as you get a check valve or somthing to reduce the bubbles in the out take a 5 gallon sponge should work, try ebay, type in small spnge filter, i got a tiny one in my 2.5 let me check my ebay history

here it is
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310370445677...84.m1439.l2649

Last edited by angelfish11788; 01-04-2013 at 06:30 PM.
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #18 
anthonyt20

here are some ideas you can use in case you decide to use the power filter
http://www.instructables.com/id/chea...uarium-filter/
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ter-with-Just/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Repl...15-cents-each/
i used the christmas fake snow material thats on sale now, i would suggest stitching over the glue they used, i havent used it yet but hope to in the future :)
anthonyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote