Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
Ulyaoth

What size heater/good brands?

Hydor THEO (UL) Submersible Aquarium Heater at PETCO

Was thinking of getting the 50W one of those. I just got a betta for Christmas and currently just have him in my old 1.5gallon hex tank but I want to get one of those minibows 2.5 gallon ones while they're on sale(don't really have the room for anything bigger right now) He seems pretty happy for the time being, but I've got no filter or heater, just a light. Was wondering if the 50W was too big for either the 1.5 or 2.5 gallon tanks, it says it's rated for 5-15gallons, I was just hoping it could handle the smaller tanks alright and if I eventually get some space to give him a 10gallon I could use the same heater then, since they're the same price.

Also, is that a good brand? I was going to buy a tetra heater in store the other day but ended up not because I remember hearing bad things about tetra stuff. I don't think I saw this brand in the store however but no big issue to order online.
Ulyaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #2 
aemaki09

the heater you picked out is an amazing heater. I love mine.

As for 50w in 2.5 gallons. I'd be a little iffy about it. Why not get a 25w - you can use those in 10 gallons and under. If you really want the 50w then I suggest running it in the tank without your betta in it for a few days before you add him just to make sure the temp doesnt go crazy, you're going to want to set the temp at way under what the temp knob says, and you will absolutely need a thermometer in his tank at all times to watch it.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #3 
Ulyaoth

I was just thinking it's not rated for too much bigger and it'd be more useful in an upgrade and being the same price. Just figured that it would regulate itself, guess I'll just get the 25W then, but I was also thinking of maybe using it in a 20gallon that I have spare through the summer(my koi overwintering tank) Although I'd rather just give him a permanent set home with some plants and stuff. Ok thanks..
Ulyaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Why dont you try the 50w first and see if it over-heats the tank. You will need a thermometer with either. Heaters claim to self-regulate, but most of the time they are a little off. I have the same one you listed in 100w in my 26 gallon and when I set it to 78 it goes up to like 82*, you have to be careful with any heater. But in the long run it'll definitely be cheaper to get the 50w if you are going to upgrade, so try it and if it stays too hot then return it for the 25w
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #5 
happypappy

Have this heater in my 10 gal. Have the 25watt in the 2.5 minibow and 3 gal. 50 watt may be a little much for the smaller tanks. Watch out for length........ But I definitely think it is much better than the preset versions made for smaller bowls. I could never depend on the proper temp. This keeps the tank at a constant set temp.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote