Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #1 
Irishdancer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Anastasia's Betta Journal

I've been a member since right after I bought my first betta in April 2011, but I tend to mostly only go on this website when one of my fish is having a problem. So now I'm planning on changing that and becoming a more regular member so that I can share the good parts of fish-keeping as well!

I have five fish right now. I've had Davros and Spock for over a year, Yoda since the Summer, and Oswin and Anakin for two months exactly as of today. I'm a little bit worried about Anakin at the moment because I'm not sure he's growing as fast as he should (he was only a couple weeks old when I bought him and he's still less than an inch long), but otherwise they've been doing very well lately, considering that both Davros and Spock have had health problems in the past.

Since I just moved out of my tiny college dorm into my parents house, one of my projects for the new year is to move each of them out of their current tanks (some of which are only 2 gallons) into reasonably-sized tanks. I'm not sure I have room for 10-gallons, but I know even a 5-gallon for each of them would be a big improvement. Spock is going to get the first upgrade, since the light on his tank has been broken for a long time.

Another of my projects is to get a good-quality camera so that I can actually get some good pictures of my fish. I've always envied the people who can show off how pretty theirs are on the internet ,but it's hard to get a nice picture on my ipod. :( Of course, the tanks come first though!
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101
Member
 
Hopelessaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sorry, stalkers, but no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdancer View Post
I've been a member since right after I bought my first betta in April 2011, but I tend to mostly only go on this website when one of my fish is having a problem. So now I'm planning on changing that and becoming a more regular member so that I can share the good parts of fish-keeping as well!

I have five fish right now. I've had Davros and Spock for over a year, Yoda since the Summer, and Oswin and Anakin for two months exactly as of today. I'm a little bit worried about Anakin at the moment because I'm not sure he's growing as fast as he should (he was only a couple weeks old when I bought him and he's still less than an inch long), but otherwise they've been doing very well lately, considering that both Davros and Spock have had health problems in the past.

Since I just moved out of my tiny college dorm into my parents house, one of my projects for the new year is to move each of them out of their current tanks (some of which are only 2 gallons) into reasonably-sized tanks. I'm not sure I have room for 10-gallons, but I know even a 5-gallon for each of them would be a big improvement. Spock is going to get the first upgrade, since the light on his tank has been broken for a long time.

Another of my projects is to get a good-quality camera so that I can actually get some good pictures of my fish. I've always envied the people who can show off how pretty theirs are on the internet ,but it's hard to get a nice picture on my ipod. :( Of course, the tanks come first though!
It is great to see you wanting to become active on this forum! I try my best to be, too, even though I've just recently become a member!

Awesome! I can't wait until we can see awesome pictures of your fish! I totally understand about the good quality camera part, I only have my phone camera (and it SUCKS), which can be really annoying especially when you need photos of your sick betta to help diagnose :/ !!
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #3 
Irishdancer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelessaddict101 View Post
I only have my phone camera (and it SUCKS), which can be really annoying especially when you need photos of your sick betta to help diagnose :/ !!
I've run into that problem before as well. :( Luckily it's been a while since any of my fish had any mystery illnesses.

Tomorrow I have to go to the pets store to buy some more water conditioner, and while I'm there, I'm going to see if they're taking job applications. Since I just graduated college and moved home, I need to get a job pretty soon. We have both a Petsmart and a Petco, so I'll stop at both of them. And as long as I'm there, I'm going to see if the tanks here are any better than the ones at the location I usually went to near my campus, or if I'll still need to order online.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #4 
Hopelessaddict101
Member
 
Hopelessaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sorry, stalkers, but no.
Oh!! Cool!! I hope you get a job there :)

I would love to work at our pet store, but they are in the city and that's awhile away from me :P
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #5 
Irishdancer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
The application for PetCo is online, so I didn't get it done while I was at the store, but there was a 'now hiring' sign in the window which is a good sign. :)

Also, while I was there I got a bag of Blue Buffalo cat food. My parents usually buy Iams for our cats, and even though they believe me that switching to a different brand would be worth it if it solves their throwing up problems, they haven't found any other brand that both the cats like. Well, one of the cats snubbed the new food at first but then later went back to eat it when she thought no one was watching, and the other one not only seemed to like it, but then got into the bag because I'd accidentally left it out. Since this brand is a lot more expensive, I'm not sure I can convince my parents to buy it, but if I get a job soon I'm sure I can take care of it.

Also, at the store I found a fish I wanted to buy, but I let my sister talk me out of it.The poor guy was laying at the bottom of his cup and didn't seem able to swim upwards, so I'm guessing he has SBD. His colors were beautiful, though. I haven't had much luck rescuing bettas that already are in poor health. Also, I don't really have room for another tank at the moment, my parents already don't like that I have five. I'm still regretting not buying him, because I just had a feeling that he wasn't as bad as he looked and all it'd take to revive him would be some clean, heated water. I hope someone else who can get him that ends up buying him instead.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #6 
Hopelessaddict101
Member
 
Hopelessaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sorry, stalkers, but no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdancer View Post
The application for PetCo is online, so I didn't get it done while I was at the store, but there was a 'now hiring' sign in the window which is a good sign. :)

Also, while I was there I got a bag of Blue Buffalo cat food. My parents usually buy Iams for our cats, and even though they believe me that switching to a different brand would be worth it if it solves their throwing up problems, they haven't found any other brand that both the cats like. Well, one of the cats snubbed the new food at first but then later went back to eat it when she thought no one was watching, and the other one not only seemed to like it, but then got into the bag because I'd accidentally left it out. Since this brand is a lot more expensive, I'm not sure I can convince my parents to buy it, but if I get a job soon I'm sure I can take care of it.

Also, at the store I found a fish I wanted to buy, but I let my sister talk me out of it.The poor guy was laying at the bottom of his cup and didn't seem able to swim upwards, so I'm guessing he has SBD. His colors were beautiful, though. I haven't had much luck rescuing bettas that already are in poor health. Also, I don't really have room for another tank at the moment, my parents already don't like that I have five. I'm still regretting not buying him, because I just had a feeling that he wasn't as bad as he looked and all it'd take to revive him would be some clean, heated water. I hope someone else who can get him that ends up buying him instead.
Aw! I hope you get a job! Good luck!

And I've found cats can be soooo fussy! Like. Beyond fussy. My cats don't even like eating the cat food if it's not fresh out of the packet! (Like, it can be sitting for five minutes and they won't eat it -_-) so I always try to pretend that I'm pouring new ones in... and they know when I don't >.> <.<

I hope your parents like it and want to buy it


And awww! That is HORRIBLE. I can honestly say that I am lucky enough to have not seen Betta in cups before! (I know, how?!) Well.. In my town we don't have a pet/fish store. In the city below us, where I travel to to get fish, fish supplies etc, they have two pet stores. Both of them only have a few Betta for sale than hundreds - so they are generally free swimming in a tank with appropriate roomies =) At one of the pet stores, though, they sometimes have the aggressive ones in floaters... I remember seeing one that had actually jumped over one night and attacked the fancy guppies tails - so sad. I am glad that the pet stores Betta and fish in general are kept in a better environment than those in other places - I would cry every-time I saw them like that! :/

Maybe next time you go there you could see if he is still there and maybe get him? =]
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #7 
Irishdancer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelessaddict101 View Post
Maybe next time you go there you could see if he is still there and maybe get him? =]
I'm thinking about it. My parents wouldn't be very happy with me, but I know I could find a spot for a tank someplace. If nothing else, my sisters would be happy to have him in their room.


In other news, I bought a car today! This is the first one that's just mine and not the family's. My Mom is paying for it, and I'll pay her back gradually once I get a job. It shouldn't take long because it's not an expensive car (it's used and has been in a couple of accidents) but we took it to a mechanic and he said it's actually in quite good condition, the damage is just on the surface.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #8 
Hopelessaddict101
Member
 
Hopelessaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sorry, stalkers, but no.
That's so cool :D Good on you! I want a car..
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #9 
Irishdancer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Job applications are so stressful. They have so many questions that none of the answers really fit. Like 'how many years of college have you completed?' I graduated in 3 and a half years, but usually there's no box for 'half' years, and if I just say 3, it sounds like I'm not finished yet. And work experience stuff is the worst, because I've never had a 'traditional' job, just some free-lance things like tutoring, writing and working backstage at the theater.

Anyway, I got to be home alone for the morning so I got a lot done. It was time for 100% water changes in all my tanks, and it was nice having the kitchen to myself so I could get that done faster. Usually I avoid having to do them all the same day, but I was out of town for a few days after Christmas, and that got me off schedule.

Update on the cat food: I've had both the Blue Buffalo and the old brand out at the same time, and it looks like both are being eaten. I'm not sure if one cat is eating the new kind and one is eating the old kind, or if they're both eating some of each.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #10 
Hopelessaddict101
Member
 
Hopelessaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sorry, stalkers, but no.
Cats are such funny creatures! 8)

And hmm, well I hope you get them! And that reminds me, time to clean my tanks...
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Felicia's Betta Journal fgradowski Journals 18 02-20-2013 11:55 AM
Equinox's/King Dedede's/my journal of... journal-y-ness! Little Leaf Journals 76 10-13-2012 09:20 AM
Anastasia's Crazy Art Journal PaintingPintos Journals 10 09-27-2012 02:33 AM
Betta Slave's Journal :3 Betta Slave Journals 11 03-03-2012 11:32 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.