Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 
jinxhex

Aeration?

I have two ten gallon tanks, both inhabited by a male Betta.

I bought two Aqueon deluxe hoods for both tanks, one in the store and ordered the other online. After I installed the one I bought in the store, this question keeps popping into my mind, "Should I leave the door open or closed?"

I have a Whisper 10i filter for the tanks, and the currents they were producing were a little to strong for the fish, so I rubber banded some aquarium sponges under the outflow of the filters, and now oxygen doesn't circulate through the water, but thats alright since Bettas can get oxygen from the surface - until I put the hood on.

There are cut outs in the back of the hoods for appliances & their cords to be placed, so does enough oxygen get through those to where I can keep the little door shut? I'm afraid if I leave the door open my fish will jump out...

Also, I plan to get some platy tank mates for one of the tanks, should I remove the sponge under the filter so they can have oxygen aerated through the water or should I just install an air stone?

Thanks a bunch!
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Those little holes should be enough, especially if you leave an inch or so between the water and the top. Yes, please keep the door closed, and if you have any holes that are about a half inch or bigger, cover them. My female jumped out of her tank through a hole barely a half inch big in her lid at the back of her tank by the filter.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #3 
jinxhex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Those little holes should be enough, especially if you leave an inch or so between the water and the top. Yes, please keep the door closed, and if you have any holes that are about a half inch or bigger, cover them. My female jumped out of her tank through a hole barely a half inch big in her lid at the back of her tank by the filter.
Alright thanks!

And I'm sorry to hear about that
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #4 
Luxavior

You could also hotglue or tape craft mesh or aquarium-safe sponge over the opened holes in the back to let air in while preventing your betta from jumping out.

I taped a strip of aquarium-safe sponge over the opening I had to cut into the plastic part of my glass lid for a heater when I decided to fully submerge it horizontally instead of leaving it vertically.
It works perfectly.
Luxavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxhex View Post
Alright thanks!

And I'm sorry to hear about that
Thanks, she's ok amazingly and now you'd never even know that it happened (her fins and tail were torn up pretty good, but are fully healed now). That was about 3 1/2 months ago, and I've since covered every tiny little hole with cardboard.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #6 
jinxhex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxavior View Post
You could also hotglue or tape craft mesh or aquarium-safe sponge over the opened holes in the back to let air in while preventing your betta from jumping out.

I taped a strip of aquarium-safe sponge over the opening I had to cut into the plastic part of my glass lid for a heater when I decided to fully submerge it horizontally instead of leaving it vertically.
It works perfectly.
That sounds like a good idea! I'll have to go pick up some craft mesh next time I head out to wal-mart