Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #11 
shimmermepretty

Ok. I'm going to notify her of the odor and see if she wants me to at least clean it in case new people move in... I'll more than likely just put the fish down after that and see what I can do with the ADF.

Where would I get clove oil from??
shimmermepretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 AM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Not saying you should do this, but here's what I'd do:

1) I'd send her an email or text message with the status of everything. Yes, she may not receive it, but I'd send it anyway.

2) I'd remove the dead snail. I'd put it into a baggie with today's date on it, and store it in the refrigerator. (Hm, I might double bag it!)

3) I'd clean out the tank, and do a 100% water change.

4) I'd get a new container for either the fish or for the ADFs. But since you think she may be hoping that the betta dies, I'd get a container for him. (Trying to impart the message that if she doesn't want him, I'd be willing to take him.)

5) Since he has fin rot, if you have it on hand, I'd treat his water with aquarium salt. I'd put the his container into the warmest area of the room/apartment. I'd also turn up the heat in the apartment, if possible.

No, I don't think you're being too emotional. I think you're being a responsible pet owner. On the other hand, I think your roommate should be limited to this kind of pet only:

LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #13 
shimmermepretty

I'm going to text her asking if shed like me to check her critters since she already asked me to clean for her in case new people come...

SOOO then I'll just inform her of the status of her pets.

And I'll proceed from there with the feedback she gives me. Hopefully... If she receives my text...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #14 
shimmermepretty

Oh! Hehe the little stuffed animal... That is the truth!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmermepretty View Post
That's what I thought... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't some psychotic "bleeding heart" animal person for wanting to euthanize someone else's pet......

Is there another way I can put him out, though :/ I'm not sure if I can pull that smashing thing off...

I think she only has 1 frog left. I could be wrong... But I'll check in the morning. I'm so panicked I don't have a clue how to care for ADFs
Oh, wow. So he's that far gone, huh? Poor little guy. :(

That said, if you feel he needs to be euthanized, I'd DEFINITELY try to notify her first. I know she may not get the message, but I'd still send it.... I wouldn't want her claiming that I "killed" her fish without trying to contact her.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #16 
LadyVictorian

-crosses fingers-

I am happy you care for these animals, if only everyone was more like that. :/
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #17 
Tikibirds

I would just tell her they are all dead. Then depending on the condition of the frog and betta, try and save them. I have seen bettas in the most horrible of conditions come out alright with a little TLC.

If his tank is overstocked and the ammonia is high, a sudden change from high ammonia to no ammonia can cause shock. If you do go ahead with a water change, i would acclmate him back into it super slowly - like a few drops of new water at a time.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-04-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #18 
shimmermepretty

Well I can't really hide anything... We share 1 big room divided by a bathroom and she's in an out of mine, and vice versa. That's the only reason why I went in her room was because I had permission.

But the fish is a touchy subject with us. We've gotten in small "arguments" over it before. Concerning the care and well being of them. (No serious arguments)

I'll definitely notify her and my other roommate before I do anything that "crazy."
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmermepretty View Post
I'm going to text her asking if shed like me to check her critters since she already asked me to clean for her in case new people come...

SOOO then I'll just inform her of the status of her pets.

And I'll proceed from there with the feedback she gives me. Hopefully... If she receives my text...
Personally, I wouldn't "ask".... It just gives her the chance to say no.

You could say that you went in to clean, and saw the tank (with a dead snail, and possibly a dead ADF), so you removed the dead snail and cleaned the tank.

All of this, one could argue, goes along the lines of 'cleaning.'

BTW, my motto in life is "Ask forgiveness, not permission." I'd prefer to say, "Oh, you didn't want me to clean the tank? Sorry, I didn't know. I just figured it was part of the 'cleaning' thing you wanted me to do."
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #20 
Silverfang

Triple bag the snail at least, they stink to the high holy heavens.

As for the fish, that is a tough call. Do you think she'd let you take the fish if you were to get him a little tank of his home and try to heal him up?

But I understand what you mean. It's painful to see any creature suffering. Especially so needlessly.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote