Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #1 
Sparrowhawk

Ridiculously hot weather...

I have a question that I haven't seen covered here, and am a bit worried.

Today, the weather here is 41C (107F). We've managed to keep our flat cooler than that, though we don't have air conditioning. The temperature in my tanks has reached 27C (81F), and I'm not sure if I should be worried. I must admit I've been terribly ignorant not to consider the ridiculous heatwaves we get here when setting up home for my little buddies, so my question is this: Is that temperature safe for my babies? With any luck, it shouldn't rise much further than that, or at least I hope not.

I've read about people keeping their bettas at temperatures slightly higher than that when in QT or when sick, which is why I haven't quite panicked yet, but I'm still rather worried.

Thank you for any responses, they're much appreciated!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #2 
WhiskeyHands

i know some people say bettas should be kept between 78-82, lets wait for other people, you may get your heater off if you have one but i guess you dont in that temperature or you already did ^^
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #3 
Sparrowhawk

All my heaters have thermostats and have so far been wonderfully reliable. None of them have even switched themselves on today, but I've unplugged them anyway until temperatures drop a little, just to be on the safe side.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #4 
Sparrowhawk

Okay, so I realised it really was a stupid question, all I had to do was to look through the FAQ, which I had done before but obviously hadn't retained the upper temperature limit. Silly me!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #5 
WhiskeyHands

oh well that's okay haha :p
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #6 
MollyJean

I hope it doesn't get too much hotter though.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #7 
Sparrowhawk

I hope so too...
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #8 
aemaki09

You'll be perfectly fine. I think it starts getting dangerous when water reaches over 87*. If it starts creeping towards that too much then I'd start adding cooler water to the tank a little at a time and it'll keep them okay.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #9 
MSG

Keep the tanks away from sunlight & unplug the heaters.

If it's 107 degrees F outside during the day, you probably should have unplugged the heater a week ago.

During the summer months, I will leave all my tanks UNHEATED since the room is already 80 degrees.

Bettas can adapt to the temperature fluctuations as long as they are HEALTHY.

During the heatwave this past summer, I placed my halfmoon's tank right next to the window & I left the shade up. Right before I was about to leave, I noticed Akoya's weird behavior.... I took the temperature of the water & it was about 96 degrees F.

He wasn't pleased with the temperature, but I corrected that immediately by moving him to a different location.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 AM   #10 
Sparrowhawk

Thank you for your responses.

The heatwave has only just hit, we haven't had another day like this for quite some time.

I'm also glad to say there shouldn't be any issues with sunlight heating the tanks up, they're all kept away from the window and don't get any natural light unless I open the blinds (something I'm unlikely to do if it's this warm - I don't do well in these temperatures either!) so at least that part is covered...