Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

What I like about you, is that you pointed out you know you've done wrong and want to fix it :)

Right now, put her in a 1 gallon quarantine, with daily water changes (with tap water conditioner added). It will probably be a fungal infection which will be worse in 80 degrees anyways.

As for the others, remove the male from the females. It can be really risky, especially since you know he is a meanie.

Even DECOR needs to be taken care of Otherwise it is no longer decor, it is a dust collector. Anything that has a heart, a mind, a soul... Breathes, or serves a purpose in the world - whether plant or animal, we need to take care of. We've taken away mother nature, therefore we must become it.

It is not that hard to care for bettas... It may seem like it through all the reading, but you can make it easier on yourself.

Try rehoming the females, and for the sick ones you can try, or you can euthanize. Keep the male and we can easily walk you through everything you need to make sure he remains healthy.

A healthy betta will have better colors, finnage, and attitude with a little bit of proper care That way he can still be a "look at me!" fish, but still have good husbandry behind that.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #22 
SolomonFinch

I used to HATE fish. Couldn't look at them in restaurants, etc...

Until I met Elvis, my first Oranda. He is like a little puppy that lives exclusivly in water.
I can't even eat fish now.

I think now you may have some guilt... but seriously, you either like fish or you don't. If you didn't sense any sentience from your tank before....you do now?
If so, cool. Best of luck to you and your pets.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #23 
LadyVictorian

I will have to say don't kill your fish, put them all up for adoption here. There are plenty of people who would want them and can take great care of them and give them a loving deserving home they need. After that as said don't get more fish if you don't want to take care of them. Any pet requires care and if you can't give animals care then you shouldn't own pets. I'm not sure if the female could survive the transfer to another home or how well she would do but unless you are 100% dedicated to her care for the time she won't survive. She would also need a heater to recover and prevent infection as well as AQ salt.

If you need to get rid of your fish then you can post on this site and let people know where you live (state) so you can drive to drop them off or people can pick them up. A lot of people here take in fish from rescue situations or when members of our forum have more fish than they can care for. If you get rid of your fish don't get any more. Caring for fish isn't as easy as tossing them into tanks and that is that. There is more to it. Are you cycling the tanks? If not they have to be fully cleaned from the gravel up every week. How large is your tank, is it large enough for the fish? Do you have a heater? If not the fish is able to get sick. How much do you feed, how often do you feed, do you have a fasting day? Is the tank properly decorated with enough hiding places? Do you have tank mates, are they safe with your other fish? Even goldfish are more complex than people think and they are actually GREAT loving fish.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 01-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #24 
jsgossamer

Put them in Craig's list or bring them back to the pet store, they are living creatures whether you find value in their life or not. The female can be saved. If you think euthanizing a creature because of your own issues is okay....it isn't. Sorry, to be harsh, but I'm tired of people thinking lives are disposable.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #25 
Shepaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I will have to say don't kill your fish, put them all up for adoption here. There are plenty of people who would want them and can take great care of them and give them a loving deserving home they need.
I would if there's anyone here who actually live where I live lol. I gave my last healthy female Betta to a friend of mine who has a tankabout the size as mine
with only one guppie inside it (no other fish but the guppie). I think she'll do better in her care then with me since i already have a male in my tank.
For now i'll just try to make do what i can for my current fishes who look and act healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
Put them in Craig's list or bring them back to the pet store, they are living creatures whether you find value in their life or not. The female can be saved. If you think euthanizing a creature because of your own issues is okay....it isn't. Sorry, to be harsh, but I'm tired of people thinking lives are disposable.
I'm trying to change my mind set about their lives being disposable part.
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

js I think you missed the page where they said they wanted to turn this around :3

So, what size of tank do you have btw? And do you have a heater?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #27 
RoMay

I think one of your main mistakes was not checking the compatability of your fish. That isn't to uncommon. Always make sure there is compatability, but just because they are compatiable doesn't mean you should always do it. Female bettas can get along together in a soriety, but that is something experianced owners should do. That way you know what behaviors to watch out for.

Next miss step is a lot of people make, and still fail to provide and that is a proper environment. If we could fix that we wouldn't have tanks less then a gallon, and a gallon is pushing it for smaller fish.

Now the question is how are you going to untangle the mess your in. And I think starting from square one is your best bet. I don't mean offing the fishies, I mean seperating them or dividing the tank into sections and read through all the information. It may be scary and intimidating but once you get used to caring for them it really isn't so hard. You'll also will enjoy having your fish more because happy fish are amusing fish.

Stuff happens in life, either you learn for it, or you prove you're an idiot. Fact your on here seeking help means you're not an idiot. I wish you all the luck with your fish.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #28 
Shepaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
js I think you missed the page where they said they wanted to turn this around :3

So, what size of tank do you have btw? And do you have a heater?
a 30 by 30 square tank.
i just got a heater this afternoon. but i only really need it when i turn the AC on in my room since i live in a tropical country, and my tank water is already at 84.4F without the heater.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #29 
Sena Hansler

Wow! Okay, well is the heater adjustable? If so, set the heater to 82 degrees (so there is only ever a small drop if anything). and it will just not turn on until it falls under 82 degrees :)

Is the dimensions 30x30x30 (length, height, width)?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #30 
Shepaski

yeah, its adjustable, i'll do just that.

yes, it's a square tank so all dimensions should be the same. My aunt (who use to keep goldfish in this tank years ago) told me if was a 30 by 30