Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #1 
ChibreneyDragon

Interesting Occurance.

So, my female Spunk will not breed with red betta males... she just wont. she flees every time she sees one.

My green dragonscale on the other hand, she practically begs to spawn her. But he is mildly clueless, and wont do it FAST enough for her, even though he has already spawned, and should know what to do.

She moves too much for him to embrace her, then she gets frustrated and either lip locks him, or grabs his heavy finnage, and holds on.

I am at a loss as to how to go about getting the original Red DT breeding, or even get her to SPAWN in the first place.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Was she ever stressed by a red betta? Sometimes they become afraid of certain colors only. What I do is isolate for a few days then begin showing a mirror or a docile red (or what ever color they're afraid of). Start form a few seconds - just to show her that it's no real threat. And add more time as she becomes more confident. The whole process may take weeks, depending on her mentality.

When in a hurry (this may sound mean) - sometimes I put the female in with a docile female (or a young female) of the color she is afraid of in a 5-13g tank and let her chase the docile female around. After a few days, I jar her and flare her to that color until she becomes aggressive towards that color. The longer the "conditioning" period the better.

As for the male being "late" . . . I seldom, if ever, experience such things. Most of my males are too aggressive and would attack a "slow" female. Maybe, the female saw a male and sexually reacted to him while the male didn't. I usually put them together immediately without "introduction" in the late afternoon and veterans usually spawn the following morning.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #3 
ChibreneyDragon

I may try the color conditioning. Only issue is the setback. A minor annoyance, especially since I cant find any double tails that I would like to use.

I can breed for the red coloring later, but unfortunately the only DT I have is Red...

And from this start, I didnt want to have to import a DT, due to funds being tight. *Headache* All the best plans can be laid, but only the simplest seem to succeed.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Ahhh, but that's what makes this species interesting. And it's very rewarding once you succeed.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #5 
ChibreneyDragon

So I got her to breed... but it was with a veil tail....I am mildly frustrated. Most of these young will be for the Oscar tank. And there are HUNDREDS!