Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Question Update on Mr. Finch

Well, after a VERY unproductive mad dash to the closest mega pet store, I came home to Solomon just as squiglly and happy as ever.
I did a 100% water change, rinsed gravel etc conditioned his water really well, and thanks to PetDumb still only have a thermometer that heats to 78 degrees. WHich is 4 degrees higher, but not enough. I also removed the filter. I also added a teaspoon of dissolved AQ salt.
I acclimated him as usual, no biggie. He acted like nothing was wrong as he watched me clean etc. (he is VERY smart and laid back)
So when all was clean, he was acclimated and levels checked... he happily and squiggly went back into his one gallon. (more on the new tank later....just say I hate PetDumb and WalHell)
He immeaditaly went to where the filter used to be annd just stared. Then he circled, kinda panicky, and flared and flared. I cut the hood light off thinking that maybe the filter out put had broken the water enough to where he hadnt been able to see his reflection before.
This morning, his face was looking almost back to normal...he had to have scraped it somehow, or I must have accidently during the night before's water change (i did find a much smaller, softer net for him). Anyway, the pigment is back in his scales, and his tail looks the same.
Previously, I had "buffered" the filters INTAKE tube with a sanded down seashell so he wouldnt get caught in it....which I forgot to replace and hubby said he saw SF get his tail caught in.
So, YES awesome his scales are fine and his precious face near normal.
Problem?
He is acting weird now. Before last nights water change he was a little happy betta. This morning we went nose to nose per usual. Then he floated up to where the filter had been and just stared, listlessly. Then he did something he has NEVER done in my presence....he went into his cave and laid down. He never does anything but play when I am present. The most I've noticed is that he will recline on his hammock if I am cooking for awhile, and watch. Even then when I speak, he springs up, ready to play.
Guys, I think he misses his filter. The outtake anyway. He used to play in it. I kept it right at water level, so it was gentle...and his hammock was opposite it...."film" covered 1/3 of the tank water surface, it was so slow.
and he has never bit his tail before....i have photos of him on my profile if youd like to double check to make sure i am not missing something....

is it possible that when i forgot to "cover" the filter intake, that THAT is what tore his fins....not biting it?

Thoughts?
Cuz I think he is depressed, even though he is on the mend (THANK YOU lovely members who helped me with that...I thought it was something horrible, and Sena pointed out exactly what it was...scrape marks...from the filter I am thinking now...maybe even me accidently bumping him when i sucked debris from the gravel with his turkey baster)
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 
Laki

Hi! I'm glad he improved from before.
Did you say you are having trouble with the heater so it only heats to 79F? Or is the thermometer not reading accurately? Firstly, make sure he has warm enough water.

Even though film grew on the top of the water, the current may have been strong underneath the water. This shouldn't matter now that it's gone. Bettas should prefer still water. Show him a mirror and see how he behaves?

Has anything else changed? The water conditioner and food are all the same?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #3 
SolomonFinch

Thank you. Nothing has changed that I can think of...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #4 
SolomonFinch

I am going to another "mega store" 3 counties over tomorrow to get adjustable heaters. I cant tonight because my kids have matches. so he is at 78 degrees and hubby is home topping off with conditioned water to try and keep it warmer
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #5 
Laki

78F is fine. I wouldn't "try to keep it warm" because you might just stress out the fish more. If you can get heaters tomorrow, then good. Are Finch's fins clamped? Is he eating? Do you notice anything else weird about his appearance? (bloated belly, bumps, curled fins etc)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote