Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #1 
Leon

Stocking a 10 gal

Hey all you fab fish folk,
I have a ten gallon, well established, lightly planted(hopefully increasingly more planted) tank. The substrate is sand, interspersed with large smooth rocks. (just to get that all outa the way )
The fish I currently have are:
1 female betta
2 Albino corycats

My question is: would it be too much bio-load to add two more corys and one nerite snail?

Reasons: I recently lost my third cory due to an unfortunate filter malfunction. I want to make sure the other two are kept happy. They have seemed fine as a pair but I would much prefer them to have at least one more liddle friend. The snail is an addition I have been wanting to make due to a persistent algae problem, and also a fondness I hold for the little guys.

Long and short: What are your opinions?

Thank you much!
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #2 
Bluewind

I think it could handle a few more Coreys. Would they be the same breed? I believe that those get 3inches. Is that correct? If so, I would say it can handle up to 2 more. You need 4 for a school anyway, so that's perfect. The snail would push it because of the Cory's adult size. Are you good at keeping up on pwc?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-02-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #3 
Leon

Thanks Bluewind!
According to ye olde internet, the albino cory can get between 2 and 3in. Mine seem to have ceased growing at around 2in (I've had them since they were wee little things) and have shown no significant growth for the past three months or so.
The cory(s) I would get would be the same species. I do a 10-20% pwc every week, religiously. I have been thinking that adding the two more corys and the snail might be too much, especially since I'd prefer a comfortably stocked tank to one that is pushing it.
In the end I would go with the corys, because its not too much trouble to scrub the tank every week during the water changes. Though the other option would be one additional cory and one snail. Opinions?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #4 
Bluewind

More Corys would be best as they are a schooling species. The more of them there are, the more comfortable and secure they feel. Do you have live plants? If not, you will need to do a 30% weekly pwc with the added bioload just to be safe. You can add the snail if you are willing to do any extra water change.

I divide my pwc instead of doing it all at once. Easier on me and less stressful on the fish IMO.

I have a 10gal with my Betta and Mystery Snails. I will be adding Corys later. From what I've read, Mystery Snails have a bit less bioload than Nerite and unlike most snails, Mystery Snails are sexed, so unless you have both a boy and a girl, no babies!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-02-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #5 
Leon

I do have plants, and have been gradually adding more since I switched the substrate to sand several months ago (I saw some micro anubias on aquariumplants and I've been hankering for some of them to put on my driftwood). Considering that I'd rather keep my corys happiest, I'll definitely go with the two additional corys. Maybe when I move away from living in a dorm room I'll think about getting a 15 or 20 gal and then I can get some snails!
Thanks again for your input Bluewind.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #6 
Bluewind

I'm happy I could help you! I had a similar stocking issue myself. I would love to see a pic of your tank when you get your new babies
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #7 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
What kind of corycats are they? bronze/green or pygmy?
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #8 
angelfish11788

not to be rude, but i was always told there was no such thing as a mystery snail. I believe they are inca, nerite and apple snails.
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #9 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish11788 View Post
not to be rude, but i was always told there was no such thing as a mystery snail. I believe they are inca, nerite and apple snails.
Mystery snails are a type of apple snail.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #10 
SpeakNow13

I think more corys would be safe :) I have three corys, a dwarf gourami and 5 tetras in my 10 gallon and all are happy!
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10gal, stocking, stocking help, ten gal, ten gallon