Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Prime by SeaChem

Hi,

My Fred is in QT, so I will be changing water every day until his mild fin rot is healed. I used the Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus Water Conditioner to prep my water. Should I start using the Prime by SeaChem instead?

Also, I am not sure what is the portion for my 2-gallon bow tank with filter. It says 5ML for 50 gallons. That would make 0.20 ML for my 2-gallon tank. I do not have anything to measure that, would three drops with a pipet be good enough?

Oh, here is the form info:
Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? yes, but I am not using it today
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, an old mug and a leaf hammock for QT

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets at night, maybe 1 in the morning if he is up to eating.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Last night, and will continue daily 100% for the next 8 days for QT with AQ salt.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100% for now, AQ is not cycled.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Aqueon Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Not yet.

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? just got mild fin rot around 12/26/12.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No changes: swims around, curious with the mug, and rest on the hammock

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 12/26/12
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?AQ salt and daily water change, the black tip are falling off and his tail is not receding.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No idea

How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea

Last edited by Otterfun; 01-04-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #2 
Viva

I believe Seachem Prime is the most recommended water conditioner because it is very potent and last a long time. Dose 1 - 2 drops per gallon, but it can be used up to 5 times the normal amount to detoxify the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. I use a pipette to dose.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

How long you have him? If you have him for long time and he never had any problem i think you fine with the one that you are using. Well i never used that one. Prime one of the best water conditioners (2 drops per gallon) especially if you have any problem with your water.

One suggesting. You really need to use a filter if you cycle your tank. If you don't cycle i think it more harm than help. And i don't recommend to cycle 2 gallons tank. Just do 2x50 and 1-100% water changes a week for 2 gall . Or you can just do what i do for my 2.5 gall i do 100% water changes every 4 days.
How often did you change his water before? I think may be it was not enough that why he got fin rot? Is it bad? If it really bad you might need medications , if it mild (just beginning)aq salt can help. I would do 2tsp/gall with daily water changes. Do 10 days. Usually it recommendations for full course of the treatment -10 days.
Make sure you introduce him very slowly. There is a few ways to acclimate your betta not sure how you do it? But you need to do it so you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
How long you have him? If you have him for long time and he never had any problem i think you fine with the one that you are using. Well i never used that one. Prime one of the best water conditioners (2 drops per gallon) especially if you have any problem with your water.

One suggesting. You really need to use a filter if you cycle your tank. If you don't cycle i think it more harm than help. And i don't recommend to cycle 2 gallons tank. Just do 2x50 and 1-100% water changes a week for 2 gall . Or you can just do what i do for my 2.5 gall i do 100% water changes every 4 days.

How often did you change his water before? I think may be it was not enough that why he got fin rot? Is it bad?
I've had him since 12/20/12. I thought the black fringes were part of his DNA until I learn more about betta on line and saw some photos did I realized he had fin rot. My boss gave it to me as a Christmas gift in a 16oz bowl 1/2 filled with glass marbles. I read up and realized that was cruel to him, so I bought the 2-gallon on Saturday 12/22/12 and started reading up on curing the fin rot. I tried Melefix and "Betta Splendid.com" said DO NOT USE it as it is bad for Fred. Instead the web site suggested 10 days of daily water changes with AQ salt, so I am at day 3 as we speak. I thought since I am doing this curing cycle, I'd turn off the filter that came with the bow tank to minimize the stress.

[/quote]
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #6 
Otterfun

Seems like parts of the black edges are shedding and the caudal fin is not receeding. Hopefully, it is a sign of healing.

Please see my response to your other questions.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #7 
ANHEL123

Melafix can br lethal to bettas. It can coat their labyrinth organ and cause them to suffocate. Actually never use any medicane with ''fix'' in it since it has TTO and will damage bettas labyrinth organs.
Sorry going leaving to work and trying to read your first thread, just trying to find how much of the aq salt you been adding?
Can you post a picture?
Make sure you acclimate him when you do 100% water changes. You need to make sure new water approximately the same temperature as his, or you can shock him with drastic temp difference. I am using aged water to do it it easier for me. What you can do when you change him is-Just have him with 1/4 water in his changing cup. And keep adding small amount of the new water and let him sit in it to get used to the temperature. Do it every about 10 min for about 5 times this way he will get used to the new temperature /chemistry.

Also for 2 gall i don't recommend to cycle. And a lot of people on the forum will give you the same advice. You really don't need filter for 2 gall tanks. It kind of difficult to establish cycling in the 2 gall. You will need regular water changes 2-50% and 1-100% a week. But now you concern to get him better first.
Pictures would be helpful if you can .
Fin rot can be mild and aquarium salt might be enough to treat him. But sometimes it can be moderate and needs medications. So give update how he doing.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #8 
Otterfun

hi,
I just started another thread on the fin rot situation.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=124965

I have been using 1 tbsp/gal since 1/2/13 and increased the dasage to 2 tbsp last night. The 10-day daily 100% water change will end on 1/11/13. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #9 
Otterfun

Link of grey fin rot, bottom edge to grey tips
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=33008
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #10 
sunlight

sorrry wrong link.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote