Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #3011 
AyalaCookiejar

Hmm... I looked it up and it appears to me that tetracycline does not usually harm plants... But I am not a scientist and am not 100% sure. Personally, I'd stay on the safe side and quarantine the fish and leave the plants alone. Depending on your tank size, a smaller quarantine would likely be easier, anyways.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #3012 
whimsicalbrainpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Hmm... I looked it up and it appears to me that tetracycline does not usually harm plants... But I am not a scientist and am not 100% sure. Personally, I'd stay on the safe side and quarantine the fish and leave the plants alone. Depending on your tank size, a smaller quarantine would likely be easier, anyways.
They are in containers that are in the tanks. So they are warm, the plants are safe, and the water is easy to change. I just need to give them time to get better.
whimsicalbrainpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #3013 
AyalaCookiejar

I would keep them in the containers as long as medication is being used.. What are they being treated for?
I hate to keep mine in smaller containers but as long as the water is changed often and it's only temporary it's not going to hurt them. Some breeders have kept their bettas in smaller containers for a longer period of time to stunt their growth so that their future breeding partners can catch up.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #3014 
whimsicalbrainpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I would keep them in the containers as long as medication is being used.. What are they being treated for?
I hate to keep mine in smaller containers but as long as the water is changed often and it's only temporary it's not going to hurt them. Some breeders have kept their bettas in smaller containers for a longer period of time to stunt their growth so that their future breeding partners can catch up.
Fin rot. It came on overnight and while not severe it looks serious. I opted to skip the AQ salt and go for the meds.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #3015 
AyalaCookiejar

When you finish treatment you can release then back in the tank and continue to use Stress Coat. I'm not familiar with tetracycline but I'm assuming you have instructions that tells you how long it should be used? In any case, if you would like more info maybe from others who are familiar with that med and fin rot, you should post a new thread as it will likely get better answers.

If you think the fins are beginning to heal, I would still follow up with Stress Coat and just use warm, clean water. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do an extra partial water change a week just to make sure that your parameters are very good. Do you have any idea what caused it?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #3016 
whimsicalbrainpan

I have no idea. I have two guesses; I introduced some plant clippings from a friend's tank into both of my tanks and I have recently stopped running the filter in both of my tanks. My plants grow better when I leave the filter off. I think it might have been both of those things.

I do have a baffle on both my filters but I need to invest in some foam to slow the water flow even more. I should have quarantined the plants but my friend has a healthy, thriving, planted tank. I just added them without thinking. I added them a week ago though...

I test the water in both of my tanks weekly, and do a 50% water change. They are both cycled and the levels have been good. The Ph has fluctuated a lot over the last month but I have no idea as to why and it has leveled off.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #3017 
AyalaCookiejar

Did you remove the filter cartridge or turn the filter back on at any point? My guess (total shot in the dark) is that maybe some of the BB died off when the filter was turned off and it caused an ammonia spike. That would be my only speculation. There could have been a spike that you didn't catch...

I don't see how introducing plants would cause fin rot unless any of the plants died off.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #3018 
LunaStars004

Is it possible to overdose on API Stress Coat?
LunaStars004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #3019 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah it's possible to overdose on any conditioner but it has to be like 5x or more if the recommended dose I believe.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #3020 
joshwillis55

Hi i have a 3 gallon tank with a filter and a heater and i was wondering how often i should change the water and how much
joshwillis55 is offline   Reply With Quote