Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #1 
Elsewhere

Question Dial-A-Treat

I got a new Betta the other day, and when I feed him he tries to bite the pellets but they're too big for him and he just lets them drop to the bottom of the 1g he's in (just for now- I also clean them up off the bottom). Feeling bad for him, I've been giving him Daphnia from a Betta Dial-A-Treat and he eats that up like I've never seen. He also likes the Mysis if it's been cut up a little. I've tried crushing the pellets but he just ignores them.

Is it okay for me to just feed him the Daphnia and Mysis until he gets bigger, or should I try flakes or keep reinforcing the pellets?
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
aemaki09

What kind of pellets are you trying to feed?

those dial a treats really arent the best for betta's. Freeze dried foods lose a lot of their nutritional content so they just end up being like what chips and candy are to people.
I'd fast him for a couple days and try pellets again (crushed if needed), if he doesnt eat, fast him for another day, so on so forth, eventually he'll eat the pellets. -- if this goes on for longer than a week though I suggest getting frozen food instead of freeze dried so its healthier.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #3 
Elsewhere

It's Aqueon Betta food- I'll give that a shot, maybe he'll go for them if I try soaking them first, but if that doesn't work I'll try fasting ^.^ Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 
Fae

I think if I remember correctly the Aqueon Betta food is a larger pellet size (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so you could try feeding him a smaller pellet like Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. They're high in protein and a good staple food for bettas. My little dude eats them up like crazy. I think New Life Spectrum food is smaller too, and is a great quality food as well.
Fae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

Thank you, Fae! Even though I just got him, I'm getting a new tank for a steal and I'm thinking of going back for a purple girl I was regretting not buying... I'll pick up some of those pellets when I'm out!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, Aqueon is the largest of the three brands. Omega One is slightly smaller than Aqueon. And New Life Spectrum (NLS) is the smallest of the three.

Petsmart carries Aqueon and Omega One.

Petco carries Omega One and NLS.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
Thank you, Fae! Even though I just got him, I'm getting a new tank for a steal and I'm thinking of going back for a purple girl I was regretting not buying... I'll pick up some of those pellets when I'm out!
Ha! A true Betta Addict in the making.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #8 
Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Ha! A true Betta Addict in the making.
Haha, yes! At first I couldn't be, but then I told my mother if she let me get fish I wouldn't ask for any furry friends, so as long as I can pay for them myself! I was even considering starting a sorority, but I decided it was just too much XD