Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #31 
TheCheese909

I'm pretty sure this is not the myco "mystery disease" as it looks nothing like it from what i've read and seen on these photos of this fish.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #32 
SQUIRT1216

I got scared for a bit when I reach "not treatable" part. But all the blues are still where it suppose to be. It changes color quite bit from time to time but nothing major. Just sometimes it has the blue, sometimes it fade out, then come back.
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #33 
SQUIRT1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Oh, he's beautiful!

And now, I'm seeing the other pics. Poor little guy!

IDK.... I'm hoping there's nothing else going on besides a shredded fin. But based on these pics, I think you need to hear from people with more fish-expertise than I have...

Could you answer a few questions and/or verify this information, though?
a) His body is blue, right? (In the initial pic, he doesn't look blue. But the recent ones show a beautiful, vivid blue body coloration.)
b) Wednesday - he was fine.
c) Thursday evening - his fins were clamped, and he was laying at the bottom, lethargic.
d) When was the last time he ate? On Wednesday?
e) Can you identify if there is a specific ripped area of his caudal fin? Or is there just general clamping?
f) Is there any sign of bloating, or distention?

Sorry, i didnt answer your question here
He is black/ blue. The initial pic, i had a yellow light, he was in a different tank waiting for his real tank to be ready. Then i moved him to the planted tank where i used fluorescence light so his real color popped out. I think Wednesday morning was the last time he ate. He usually doesn't eat much ever since i got him, unlike my other betta so i didn't think too much of it till he stop eating all together.

There are three- four major long rip part as you can see in the pic, and the top and bottom part of his caudal fin pinch together, make him looks like a veiltail instead of halfmoon.No bloating nor distension that i could notice
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #34 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is not the myco "mystery disease" as it looks nothing like it from what i've read and seen on these photos of this fish.
I had a blue betta that was suspected to have it. (Per a diagnosis from two people here). The only definitive way to know for sure though is via a necropsy. The progression was incredibly fast.

I asked the questions that I did without stating anything about the Myco disease. I wanted to get more info first.

But Squirt's betta is 'holding steady' and does not appear to be exhibiting the same symptoms that mine had - which is a good thing!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #35 
TheCheese909

It's a very good thing indeed.

Typically when that "mystery disease" comes it looks like when you light a piece of paper on fire. The black spreads across the body or fins and completely burns off the pieces, the fish starts turning black and it kills within 48 hours max, usually 24 hours.

I'm positive your fish does not have this so don't worry about that. It looks nothing like what is wrong with your boy, he looks like he might have had a rough night and just had an accident with some decor. Their fins are like pantiehoes and so they rip on the most simple things.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #36 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRT1216 View Post
There are three- four major long rip part as you can see in the pic, and the top and bottom part of his caudal fin pinch together, make him looks like a veiltail instead of halfmoon.
OK, this is more indicative of an injury, than a disease.

I'd suggest going back to posts #11-14, and treating as described in those posts. They outline the treatment for ripped/torn fins.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 01-04-2013 at 11:30 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #37 
SQUIRT1216

Thank you all. I will keep you guys update! I hope my baby will be ok. All my roommates are gone for winter break and wont be home for another 3 weeks. These fish are the only one keep me company so I would be devastated if anything happen to them.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #38 
SQUIRT1216

So he start eating again, like a pig actually. But he only eat frozen brineshrimp and ignore pellets. SHould i just stick with live food for now? Better than nothing...
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #39 
Silverfang

frozen brine shrimp/bloodworms is good for now. While healing and regrowing the extra protein will help.

He will just be a pest when you have to transition him back to his normal diet. Glad to hear he is eating again. How are the fins looking?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #40 
SQUIRT1216

Not sure if he is improving. May be because I see him every day and hard to spot changes. Here is his current pic. I change 50% every two days and 100% at the end of the week just like OFL advise somewhere one another person's post.

i realize it is hard to see bc of the container color
Attached Images

Last edited by SQUIRT1216; 01-06-2013 at 07:55 PM.