Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #1 
Homer16

Am I taking care of my Betta right?

I've been having horrible luck with Bettas. Then I did some research and seen they need a heater (petsmart employees must lack brain cells). So, I got a 2.5 gallon tank, with a filter, heater, leaf hammock, small rock and small fake plant. I feed him (whatever kind he is) 2-3 Aqueon betta pellets in the morning and about an additional 2-3 pellets at night, I dont use this brand specifically I feed betta bites as well but am out at the moment. Sometimes I feed flakes instead of pellets and sometimes one meal I will feed frozen brine shrimp instead. I have a desk light I found hanging around the house that I use as his light. Here is a pic, his name is Mickey

Homer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

You are doing good so far but your betta could use some more plants or a cave to hide in. Otherwise it looks like a nice little setup. Silk plants are best for male betta's since plastic can cut up fins BUT if you run the plastic plant over a stocking and nothing snags it should be safe, also live plants are cool and fun to take care of as well. I think of it as owning a fish and a garden together so if you are into plants or anything it might be your thing as well but not a must. Also remember a non cycled 2.5 gallon needs cleaning twice a week. One day just change 50% of the water and another day clean out the whole tank. Unless you cycle it but as I recall cycling under 5 gallons isn't for begginers.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Good job on the research! Good tank size and I'm glad you've got a heater! :) a few suggestions... If you don't have an in-tank thermometer (glass) I would get one. The heaters are almost never 100% accurate, even the best brands. You'll need to be sure the temp is a steady 78-80 degrees. Also, does the hammock have a metal piece in it? If so, it will rust so I would remove it. Try to keep the lights on at a consistent schedule for 8-12 hours a day to simulate day/night as well.

One other suggestion: I would add a few extra decorations personally. They don't usually hide a lot but they do like to have cover and some different resting places. If you didn't do the pantyhose test on the plastic plant, its a good idea to make sure it's safe. I also recommend silk (or live, if you're up to it) plants as they are soft and safe. I try to get plants I know are tall enought to reach the water surface. :)

Good luck with him! He's lucky to have a caring owner!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, and cycling... It's possible in a 2.5 gallon but they don't always hold a stable cycle and you need surface area (like the decor) to help with a cycle. Even if you can get the tank to cycle, two water changes of at least 50% is a good idea just in case there are any spikes.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #5 
Homer16

Already did the pantyhose trick :D. Also, I was at the dollar store earlier and was thinking about more hiding places for my cichlids so I thought about Mickey as well. I got these as I have seen them in other peoples tanks as well I assume they are safe? I have a digital thermometer meant for aquariums I check the temp of all my tanks at least once a day...sometimes twice. Also, the tank was cycled already when he was put into it via another fish :) I check the PH and Ammonia levels and all are normal with ammonia being 0. I plant to eventually venture into live plants at some point in the near future but want to get just the fish care down pat first

Last edited by Homer16; 01-04-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, good! Many people use those pots but beware of the holes in the bottom if there is any.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #7 
Homer16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Oh, good! Many people use those pots but beware of the holes in the bottom if there is any.
What will the holes do? The ones I got are very small holes, I cant even fit my pinkie finger through it
Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

They can get stuck in small holes. Most people either cut out the bottom or seal the hole with aquarium safe silicone, plants or sponges. Any decoration should not have holes smaller than what you can fit your thumb into.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #9 
Homer16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
They can get stuck in small holes. Most people either cut out the bottom or seal the hole with aquarium safe silicone, plants or sponges. Any decoration should not have holes smaller than what you can fit your thumb into.
I can shove some sponge into the hole no problem :)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

And it may be unlikely that he could even get into the holes... But I like to keep in mind that they are very curious. They will check out anything and everything placed inside their tanks, so I like to be cautious about every decoration. I've heard some pretty scary horror stories of some serious injuries from them getting stuck in holes!