Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #1 
Fishybitty

Exclamation Fish Ich/two tanks

I have a problem. I have a 30 gallon tall tank with like 18 tetras and Im noticing Ich on them. I bumped the heat up slighty. I'm wondering what else should I do? I have aquarium salt on hand. Do I need to add quick cure still with this method?

Also, I have a 10gallon. I see Ich swimming around. Well, at least something really tiny and white is swimming. I put quick cure in there. I can't warm the water anymore because it is a tetra preset heater. (nothing is in there right now)

Any suggestions would be great. Appreciate the help. Thank you!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
I have a problem. I have a 30 gallon tall tank with like 18 tetras and Im noticing Ich on them. I bumped the heat up slighty. I'm wondering what else should I do? I have aquarium salt on hand. Do I need to add quick cure still with this method?

Also, I have a 10gallon. I see Ich swimming around. Well, at least something really tiny and white is swimming. I put quick cure in there. I can't warm the water anymore because it is a tetra preset heater. (nothing is in there right now)

Any suggestions would be great. Appreciate the help. Thank you!
Firstly, to treat the ich, I would keep them in the tank you have them in and treat them as follows:

Quote:
Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Perform daily 100% water changes to remove fallen parasites before they can reproduce (so keep the tank floor bare or siphon thoroughly). Replace the water with the right amount of salt.
I wouldn't reccomend doing it for more than 14 days. If that doesn't seem to work, I would:

Quote:
treat with Jungle’s Parasite Clear, API Super Ick Cure, or Kordon Rid Ich Plus
I would just follow the instructions on their labels.

I got this information from: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332 Which may be helpful for you in future refrences (there is two or three threads in that section) :)

Also..

the white dots you describe sound like cyclops and/or water fleas. My best bet would be cyclops. Do not feed them to fry if you have them. I would clean the tank out, a 100% change as that may help with that. I've never had a problem with them, though.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #3 
Fishybitty

Alright, thank you so much. Water fleas? Hmm odd. I noticed this happend after I introduced 5 neons from a local chain pet store. How can I do a 100% with all my fish in there? o.0 This is the time I wish it wasn't a tall tank. This is going to be hard to do.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #4 
Hopelessaddict101

Now, i'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure you get them from too much feeding of your fish, or contamination from another source that had them (maybe from the neons - carrying them from their previous tank?) but I am not 100% sure on that.

They are completely harmless and make great fish food - so you would not have to worry about exterminating them etc. (I only said don't feed them to fry if you have them as I've read somewhere it's not good for them).

If you wanted to do a 100% water change, by the way, you could try catching your fish and bucketing them. When I find it hard to catch my tetra (seriously they can be difficult right? :P) I just give up and do a 95% water change - it is the same really.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #5 
Fishybitty

Alright, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment and help.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #6 
Hopelessaddict101

It's alright :) I don't know everything but I do try to help to the best of my ability - which is basically all anyone can ever do.

If you need or want anymore help, feel free to message or post a comment onto my wall :)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #7 
Fishybitty

I'm slowly upping my temp. 82 is the highest I can go. Not all my fish has white specs on them? Is that normal. Oh and should I add salt now? (in the years ive had fish...never had any problems with ich)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #8 
Hopelessaddict101

It's up to you when you want to start doing it. Whatever time works for you as you have to do it 12 hours apart (it's best to). So if I want to do it at 10 in the morning then 10 at night etc etc.