Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #21 
SolomonFinch

I see the marks now. I looked more closely. I have been so busy wrangling my other fish I hadnt noticed.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Well, a good practice to get yourself into washing your hands... You can also buy something to put into water to clean the nets. That way you do not cross contaminate.

He could be stressed from many different reasons. The cooler temperature may be one factor... Have you tried not using the filter? Some of my bettas really dislike filters... No matter the tank size.

It is nice you are getting a 5 gallon for him. If I may, I would recommend an adjustable heater that you can bring it up to 78-80 degrees. You'll be surprised in the change you will see in him.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #23 
SolomonFinch

do i still need stress coat? the nearest pet store is an hour away, and closes at nine. i am still settling my kids, and may end up at walmart if I dont hurry. i am going to get a real testing kit too, these strips are too iffy.
i am trying to make it to the pet store because this heater i have auto cuts off at 78 degrees, but two thermometers say that it's colder.
i cannot believe i have ran out of stress coat! of all things i have on hand! LOL man, goldfish aren't this finicky LOL
I have calmed down a bit since he ate and played with me after he had a full belly. i think you are right about the filter. my hubby said after i cut it on last night after cleaning, his tail got caught in it. how could i be so dumb?!
I am used to having to over filter for goldies, i guess.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #24 
SolomonFinch

O, and BTW thank you fr listening to my nervous break down. I should send you flowers.
I love the lil guy so much. He and an Oranda I have...I am very attached to. I just made some serious mistakes trying to keep new projects up.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Well, considering you have asked for help and are listening to the help given, that shows you are a good owner.

You always need to add tap water conditioner or stress coat.

It would be a good idea not to use the filter. I find 1 gallon is not the best size for filters anyways, since he cannot get away from the flow as easily. Definitely get a heater that can go higher than just 78 Especially if it is off by that much!! 4 degrees is a big difference. Adjustable is so much better.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #26 
Tikibirds

Bettas aren't really big fans of filters or currents. Plus they don't have a high bioload like goldfish. I would skip on the filter and use do whatever water changes are recommneded for a 1gallon. I do 2 a week, some people do more.

When you get the 5G, a sponge filter may be something to look into. you need to buy more parts but i wont coat more then buying a HOB filter. I think i'm gonna do that for one of my guys. Everytime I turn the filter on, next time I look at him his dark blue is faded to grey. Freaks me out every time too!

If you do go to walmart - I know they have tetra heaters for cheap but they suck. if your on a budget you may want to look at ebay or amazon. Better selection and possible cheaper then a petstore. Not always though. Some sellers charge an arm and a leg for shipping >.<

Now for his head - is that patch fuzzy? Are there any missing scales.leasions or anything like that?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-03-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Ebay <3 I got an adjustable heater that still works (from a year ago).
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 AM   #28 
callistra

Is he in a heated 5 gallon now? How's he doing?

Just to back track, I would never put a filter in a 1 gallon it is pointless and will only stress him out.

In the new tank, be sure to monitor the cycle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 Once it's fully established a once weekly 50% change including a thorough vaccuming of the gravel (or stir/dip) will be needed. Cycling can take up to 2 months. There may be a little bb established in the old filter, so maybe it will take closer to 3-4 weeks.

Here is how I recommend doing water changes:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

Last edited by callistra; 01-05-2013 at 02:11 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote