Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #31 
btook

He really is as big as a marble. And he's really still alive. He's being treated with Furan 2 now, and the Kanaplex (sp?) will arrive tomorrow.
btook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #32 
callistra

Good luck.. poor boy :(
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #33 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah :( keep us updated on how he is doing!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #34 
FishyFishy89

I'm glad hes still fighting. I hope he clears up soon.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #35 
btook

Got the Kanaplex, crossing fingers it works.

Question re med directions- both the Kanaplex and the Furan 2 have you build up the levels over a couple of days and then say you can repeat the procedure X number of times. Is "repeating the procedure" starting at the beginning level of the meds over again after a water change, or is it increasing the meds still more? TIA!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #36 
callistra

Make sure to remove any carbon while treating.

Dose Furan 2 every 24 hours - full/normal dose. 50% water change every other day followed by same full dose of Kanaplex & Furan 2. 100% change at week's end. Meds lose their effectiveness after so long so full dose is needed. You're not really increasing anything.

Make sense?

Furan 2 is for 10g. Kanaplex level scoop is for 5g. Both will need to be dilluted.. this will need to be done every time you dose and extra mixture tossed.

Furan 2 - 10 dechlorinated/tank teaspoons water. Dissolve packet. 2.5 tsp in 2.5g tank. Kanaplex - 5 teaspoons dechlorinated/tank water. Dissolve level scoop. 2.5 tsp in 2.5g tank.

Let me know if the furan 2 doesn't dissolve well.. I can do a different ratio

Last edited by callistra; 01-05-2013 at 04:13 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #37 
Shewbert

Hi
This is a method we have used for severe bloat (ie.bloat as in swelling of stomach and swim bladder)
buy some pure cod liver oil and an eye dropper type of pipette.
if he will take a small piece of pea, then soak the pea in the oil and give it to him, get the pipette and let 1 drop of the oil land on the surface of the water, when he goes to the surface to gulp air he will be dosing himself.
Cod liver oil is a natural laxative but it works a lot quicker than peas and daphnia.
Olive oil works in a similar way, but cod liver has a quicker reaction.

If this is parasitical, buy some Worm out Gel, it is actually a canary medicine for internal parasites and micro infections, add add 2 ml to each gallon of water, most bird de-wormers will do the job as long as it is a water based treatment, but do not place more than I have stated (2ml to each gallon of water.)

I know that this sounds a drastic treatment using bird medicine, but we use medicines that treat the infections, it is the same chemical make up but doses are different from animal to animal.
This fish needs instant treatment, it is in severe discomfort, whether it has bloat/infection a stronger treatment must be given in this case, follow the above instructions, the oil and wormer can be used at the same time.

Mandy, Marine Biologist/Vet

Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #38 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Make sure to remove any carbon while treating.

Dose Furan 2 every 24 hours - full/normal dose. 50% water change every other day followed by same full dose of Kanaplex & Furan 2. 100% change at week's end. Meds lose their effectiveness after so long so full dose is needed. You're not really increasing anything.

Make sense?

Furan 2 is for 10g. Kanaplex level scoop is for 5g. Both will need to be dilluted.. this will need to be done every time you dose and extra mixture tossed.

Furan 2 - 10 dechlorinated/tank teaspoons water. Dissolve packet. 2.5 tsp in 2.5g tank. Kanaplex - 5 teaspoons dechlorinated/tank water. Dissolve level scoop. 2.5 tsp in 2.5g tank.

Let me know if the furan 2 doesn't dissolve well.. I can do a different ratio
Let me make sure I understand this correctly- I dissolve 1 packet of Furan 2 in 10 tsp tank water, and then use 2.5 tsp of this mixture in my 2.5 gallon tank.... I dissolve a level scoop of Kanaplex in 5 tsp tank water, and use 2.5 tsp of this mixture in my 2.5 gallon tank... correct?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #39 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewbert View Post
Hi
This is a method we have used for severe bloat (ie.bloat as in swelling of stomach and swim bladder)
buy some pure cod liver oil and an eye dropper type of pipette.
if he will take a small piece of pea, then soak the pea in the oil and give it to him, get the pipette and let 1 drop of the oil land on the surface of the water, when he goes to the surface to gulp air he will be dosing himself.
Cod liver oil is a natural laxative but it works a lot quicker than peas and daphnia.
Olive oil works in a similar way, but cod liver has a quicker reaction.

If this is parasitical, buy some Worm out Gel, it is actually a canary medicine for internal parasites and micro infections, add add 2 ml to each gallon of water, most bird de-wormers will do the job as long as it is a water based treatment, but do not place more than I have stated (2ml to each gallon of water.)

I know that this sounds a drastic treatment using bird medicine, but we use medicines that treat the infections, it is the same chemical make up but doses are different from animal to animal.
This fish needs instant treatment, it is in severe discomfort, whether it has bloat/infection a stronger treatment must be given in this case, follow the above instructions, the oil and wormer can be used at the same time.

Mandy, Marine Biologist/Vet
Found the cod liver oil. Was a trick to find PURE cod liver oil. Haven't found an anti-parasite yet.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #40 
Shewbert

Has he eaten any peas or pooed yet? any parasites will show up as abnormally discolored poo or signs of worms
if it looks normal but hanging like a string he was constipated.
keep up the treatment but do not feed yet, just a bit of treated pea,,some daphnia wont hurt but not too many.
Temperature up a little and some air bubbling. If you are using Kanaplex & Furan 2 do not use Worm out Gel.
Be patient, once he starts to swim a bit better, the exercise will ease his discomfort
Mandy
Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote