Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #41 
callistra

What changes have you done so far with all the suggestions in your thread?

My experience with internal parasites it is causes spastic wild behavior and by the time it's bad enough that they actually get lethargic they're gone soon after.. Also they will by skinny while with bacterial normally no weight change if not bloated actually now internal bacterial infections I've seen cause more lethargy.. but anyway it's one or the other.

Can you share photos?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #42 
Shewbert

If he goes to the top on a regular basis he might be gulping air through lack of oxygen, more regular water changes are needed, maybe an air stone placed in his water to keep oxygen levels up. it does not take long for a fish to use up the oxygen in a 3 gal tank.
Don't let him stuff himself with food, its better to give him small regular meals than large meals, remember large amounts of food puts pressure on his swim bladder.
Starve him for a couple of days,
A day of not feeding him each week will do him no harm.
But an instant 50%-75% change is needed.
Ray
Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #43 
zebra3

Tomorrow I'm doing a water change with new conditioner. I have not made many changes to his habitat because I didn't want to introduce new things to a problem I was unsure of. He is acting normal as ever right now, so tomorrow is a water change and two SMALL meals day to see how he handles it.

Thanks for the help everyone, it's weird to see your fish literally keeling one night and wake up to a healthy appearing one the next day.

I'd like to reiterate for people just joining in:
My fish is no longer exhibiting behaviors listed on page one.
zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #44 
Tikibirds

So he is all better? Sweet

Quote:
If he goes to the top on a regular basis he might be gulping air through lack of oxygen, more regular water changes are needed, maybe an air stone placed in his water to keep oxygen levels up. it does not take long for a fish to use up the oxygen in a 3 gal tank.
Bettas have a labyrenth organ - which allows them to breathe air via the surface not through the gills.
Quote:
This organ allows labyrinth fish to take in oxygen directly from the air, instead of taking it from the water in which they reside through use of gills. The labyrinth organ helps the inhaled oxygen to be absorbed into the bloodstream. As a result, labyrinth fish can survive for a short period of time out of water, as they can inhale the air around them, provided they stay moist.
If he won't eat pellets - Omega one flakes are probably the best you will find. The first few ingredients are fish items not wheat or anything like that.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #45 
zebra3

Question

Okay, so I got some water conditioner. It says to add 1 tsp per 10 gallons. How do I equate that to half gallons or one full gallon? I don't want to be too far over or under.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #46 
callistra

What did you buy?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #47 
zebra3

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
What did you buy?
Aqueon water conditioner.

http://www.petco.com/product/102599/...nditioner.aspx
Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #48 
callistra

You use half a ml per gallon. 1 ml is approx 20 drops so you use 10 drops per gallon.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #49 
zebra3

Exclamation My fish is dying! Part deux.

Okay so he's doing it again.

My fish is lying on his side at the top of the tank for a while, then getting some air and swimming around for a few seconds before repeating this behavior.

I almost want to believe that line about him being "depressed" only, why would he be depressed he is spoiled rotten with a beautiful tank?

I changed his water a couple days ago. 25-35% change, his water is crystal clear and clean.
I have fed him sparingly, usually a 2-3 flakes, 9-10 hours apart since the first incident of this.
His water remains at a comfortably stable 78 degrees, going down to maybe 76 at night. For the middle of winter, that seems acceptable. At this point, I am clueless. Parasite perhaps? Weird delayed reaction to one of the plants in the tank? (anubias, lilies, tiger lotus) I was actually about to order some more plants but I guess that's on hold for a while.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #50 
Tikibirds

Very...Odd.

Is he acting like he can't swim down? clamped fins or color loss?
Try Pming callistra..akura8 or oldfishlady.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote