Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #1 
otter

Sorority troubles

Hello,
I have 5 females in a 20 gallon tank (I have made many hiding places)

I have been switching them around a little bit because some of them have been getting cloudy eye and bloating, so I have been taking them out and QTing them.

I have noticed though, that my two biggest females have been fighting a lot more because I have been switching everyone around so much, and I have noticed that Totoro (the smaller blue with red rays) is really bullying Lilo (huge with black mask and blue)
Totoro has been chasing Lilo around, and Lilo is hiding, but Totoro is following her to the hiding places and just being awful.

Lilo's fins are pretty torn up and I noticed that her lip had turned white, it kind of looks like a scrape, I can't really figure out what it is :(

But anyways I am kind of new to fish keeping, I started this sorority a few months ago with no problems, but now I'm not really sure what to do, because it looks like Totoro has one the fight and is now leader of the group, but she just isn't leaving Lilo alone! :(
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #2 
MSG

Do you have any photos of your ENTIRE tank?

I had a very densely planted tank for my sorority, but I've always had issues with them battling one another.

They've all been separated AGAIN for the 3rd time & about to get reintroduced into a 30G jungle style planted tank.

Like I mentioned, photo would be helpful.

BTW, I've had all these bettas since July & none of them had any issues with cloudy eyes or bloat.

The ones that are being QT'ed what are they being medicated with?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #3 
otter

None of them are being QTd right now because.... unfortunatley, I am going on a 2 week long trip. ugh and I can't ask the person who will be taking care of my fish to change the water every two days, if I'm medicating them.

I treated the cloudy eye with kanaplex, but dosed it wrong--ugh I had a dyslexic moment. I changed the water EveryDay instead of every 2 days when I re-dosed them.
So they aren't completely better.

The bloating, I have been fasting, its only on one betta-rice ball

Ugh I feel like such a bad fish owner, but I can't really do anything :(

I can take a photo :) I will post it in a little while
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

My sororities seldom uses too many plants. I want them to constantly see each other as I believe this will reduce aggressiveness - in the sense that hierarchy will quickly be formed and none will challenge the alpha. There will always be flaring but seldom any fights. BUT there are occasional bullies - which aren't determined by size. A skittish female will often be bullied by all.

I usually remove the bully, keep her in solitary for some time. Once I feel comfortable with the hierarchy I reintroduce the bully. There will be fighting, but usually the previous "victim" will no longer be bullied - well not as much anyway. If she still bullies others, she goes into a solitary permanently.

Disturbing the sorority will change the hierarchy. If the alpha is removed, others will fight for the position (unless they've become docile). A recently spawned/solitary female will often fight for her position. But if they constantly see everyone, and specially if others ignore her (not fighting back nor running away) she will calm down.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #5 
otter

Yes, I am hoping that they will work it out--
but here is a picture of the tank :)

Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6 
MSG

You've used a lot of decorations that I wouldn't have used in mine.

One way caves I would think are bad for a scared betta to hide in. There's no escape from a aggressive betta.

Also the plants I've tested out & thought were too sharp.

The plastic plant behind the 2 Imperial guardian lions would be like swimming through a forest of barbed wire.

All those ceramic cups you made yourself, would be best for a MALE betta to be used as shelter.

Other than that, your tank is pretty.

If you're only going away for 2 weeks. Have your friend do 1 water change & give them 1-2 pellets
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #7 
otter

Thank you c:
with the plants I did the "pantyhose" trick and they didn't catch, and they don't seem to be causing problems though yes, they don't hide in them :/
I was thinking of getting a hm plakat from aquabid sooner or later, and he would be using this tank (possibly) w/ the plants. Would they really be too sharp?

eep! yes, that is my plan :) I made a very detailed care sheet for him ahah
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

If you are going to be removing a female here and there and then re-introducing, it is probably best to remove all the females from the tank, treat them all (sounds like you have something bacterial going on if all your parameters are checking out) and then put them all back into the tank at the same time.

You don't really have that many hiding places from the photo provided, and five females in 20 gallons isn't enough fish to disperse aggression, as you are seeing with individual females (Lilo) being bullied. I really overstock my sororities as the more females there are, the more dispersed aggression is, because there are constant distractions.

Like MSG mentioned, the caves aren't really an adequate hiding place because the aggressive female will just follow the other one in and then it has nowhere to go but back out the entrance. I definitely think you need more cover in there.

If you are feeding them right and they are healthy, bettas should not be bloating continually. Are you sure your females weren't just eggy? I always liberally fed my sorority to make sure everyone was getting their fair share and mine were always plump but never bloated.

Last edited by LittleBettaFish; 01-06-2013 at 01:14 PM.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote