Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #1 
Desensitizer

Have Medicines for Popeye going to 100% change and add plants, need advice

I have a 10 gallon I have normalized to 80-81* (may drop 1 or 2 when I turn off lights for the night) it has Prime dechlorinated water with 1 tsp/gallon epsom salt

My fish has popeye, and has been in the tank without changes for a week. I am going to be changing the water 100% and adding Kanaplex and Epsom Salt and Prime to the water to insure it is dechlorinated properly. I will also use the thermometer and water filter (for even heating) to get the water close to 80-81* by the time the fish is returned to his tank.

Does anyone have advice on on prime/kanaplex/epsom salt dosage? Or how much water to change?

I intend on potentially adding a plant to the tank also, does anyone have input for fish/tank/plant health? I will be adding java moss later this week when it arrives, but I was going to add Dwarf Sag and maybe something else today, and it also has a Peace Lilly. There are 2 lights, and I will be upgrading the lighting to 6700k bulbs soon.

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-05-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #2 
callistra

If you're treating in the 10g make sure to remove carbon pad/sac from the filter, but you don't need to turn off the filter. Dose 2 level scoops of Kanplex every 48 hours for a full week. Also dose epsoms at 1 tsp per gallon (10 tsp) only 1 time and you don't have to keep redosing. After a week do a 50% water change including using the gravel vac and run carbon for 24 hours. Then redose half dose of the epsoms and continue 2 level scoops of Kanaplex every 48 for a second week. Should be clear by then. Replace carbon and do another 100% change at second week's end.

Peace lily is not aquatic.. would remove it.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #3 
Desensitizer

Did everything. Only old water remaining was in the red solo cup I left him in while changing. I'm worried about the PH difference post-changing, is there anything I can do (I know it gets super bubbely)
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #4 
callistra

What do you mean? Keep the epsoms in his water at the same level and there will be no ph changes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #5 
Desensitizer

Oh. I don't know anything about ph. That's good to know
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #6 
Desensitizer

The fish is happy as hell. I am going to tie the betta log to the end of the tank away from the filter and keep filter on constantly once there are some plants to change the flow. I will be adding anacharis, amazon sword, Cabomba caroliniana, and java moss over the next few weeks, and when I start to add those I will have to figure out what I need to add. I'm trying to get a gravel vacuum off ebay with the last $4.60 I have on my card (but I'm avoiding the $3 asian sellers and trying to snag one used from the USA)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #7 
Desensitizer

Ok so he seems fine and loves his log (which I sanded) and I will check constantly after 3 weeks for paint wearing off (people say 1 month to 6 months or longer) at which point I will boil/sand/etc so that there is no paint left.
Here is a picture of his eye. It seems a little smaller but there is a gray circle at the edge of it? What does this mean (I'm worried about his eye falling off)

You can make it out in the photo, it's circled in red. It appears grey/silver, and is not present on the other eye (anywhere near as apparent)
Is this just a natural part of the healing process?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #8 
callistra

I really can't see anything with that photo.. it's just too low quality.

What are you treating with now?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #9 
Desensitizer

Exactly what you asked in that exact manner. It's just a gray/silver line at the edge of his eye to body at the coloration difference inside the red circle. But it kinda looks like part of the eye has moved in a bit, so that seems better, almost as if the bacteria stuff receeded in part but hasn't yet in another part
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #10 
callistra

So you just started dosing yesterday? It's just not been long enough to be fully healed.