betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 AM   #11 
Juditko

Hallyx thanks! Great idea!
Posted via Mobile Device
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #12 
TheCheese909

Thank you, I like having this sort of information at hand for those who need it.

Hallyx, that's also a great idea. I've used that before when I have recently washed my hands and under my fingernails are still wet.. You can't pinch pellets like that because they'll then just get stuck under your nails and it's gross lol.

Which Tetra Betta pellets did you normally use, I have acouple different ones.. Tetra Betta + Floating Mini Pellets and the regular Tetra Betta Floating Mini Pellets. They are both different from another in color and size.

The regular ones are massive and anything but "mini", they are actually the largest pellets I have ever seen for a Betta and feeding any more than two can cause the average Betta to get quite large. The + ones are normal sized pellets, the basic of all Betta food sizes.

I've only seen the top one at WalMart and no where else.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #13 
Juditko

Cheese, it is the top one. And Fish hated it. After a while I started soaking in water just to get them edible for him. He was eating off the bottom after about an hour...still didn't like them. If I'd taken them out after three minutes as is suggested he'd starved to death. Even after soaking he would attack it to break it into about four bites. That's why I ordered NLS Small instead of Betta since it appeared he liked smaller bits. But I think I could have ordered the Betta and been fine. And yep that tetra came from Walmart when I found him. So if someone's been to Walmart and their betta is ignoring food but otherwise acting healthy this could be the problem. Maybe this thread will help others trying to decide which NLS to order online. I don't have a local source.

The pics are such a great illustration. Thanks again!!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #14 
Juditko

By the way I see some measuring spoons online for dash, pinch, smidgen, etc. I'm going to try to look at some locally to see if the smallest of those would help. Another lady online used some sort of small makeup spoon.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #15 
Silverfang

I feed NLS grow formula. I don't try to count out the grains, instead I use a small scoop that came with a different kind of food. It really is hard trying to eyeball the amount!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #16 
Juditko

Interim Solution

1) cheap and 2) readily available...I made a mini scoop out of a drinking straw.

In honor of Cheese, here's the DIY photos:

First, I cut a drinking straw in half (or thirds). Then I made a triangular notch in one end. However, it's not foolproof as static can make the food pellets cling to the straw.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #17 
TheCheese909

Ha, I love that idea! That's awesome, I might have to try that out so I don't get any stuck under my nails.

I also love your photos ;)
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #18 
Juditko

Cheese, if you find a way to beat the static, let me know. I'm contemplating carving an indentation into a chop stick or some such as another possibility. I tried the straw tonight and it worked well mechanically speaking but not portion-wise as he got about eight pellets! Fast day for Fish tomorrow!