Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #11 
Kytkattin

So wait, you have money for a new fish, but not a $3 thing of dechlorinator? I'm confused. Avoid getting any other fish (snails, shrimp, etc) until you are sure you will have dechlorinator on a regular basis. With a tank that size you need to do 2 water changes a week, with one being 100%, you shouldn't have any algae problems if you are doing the proper water changes.

Plus, if you were to get another fish (snail, shrimp, etc) you would have to actually increase your water changes, not do less. Unless you have a NPT, adding more fish means more work, not less.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #12 
Eveh

I don't even know what dechlorinator is and right now I don't have the money for another fish. I'm completly broke.
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #13 
Myates

Dechlorinator - water conditioner.. a must have to make the water safe for fish.. removes different toxins such as heavy metals, chlorine, ammonia, etc etc.. until you get it, I suggest keeping your water that you will use during water changes out for at least 24hrs before placing it in the tank. That will help with some issues.. but highly suggest getting some water conditioner as soon as you can.

There are many brands out there, but if you have little money then something cheap such as Tetra Bettasafe Water Conditioner from Walmart for a few dollars will work fine.

Adding in another animal into the tank will increase the bio load and bring in some more problems such as ammonia, etc.. which makes having a water conditioner even more important for the health of your fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #14 
Eveh

Ohh ok ^^ My stress coat that I get says that it also makes tap water safe ^^
Eveh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, betta, eater