Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #71 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
I love the creativity of your setup asukabetta
thanks I might end up with this setup permanently, my mother has declared war on my bettas. She says I have too many 5gs, and wants me to rid of all of them except one...

Divided tanks make me queesy so I might have to get 2g jars instead and put them inside a 10g.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #72 
eatmice2010

YESSS must find ways to keep all bettas mwhahahahaha
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #73 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Anyone who isn't directly helping Shepaski, I suggest you stop posting in this thread as I see we aren't staying on topic very well.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #74 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Anyone who isn't directly helping Shepaski, I suggest you stop posting in this thread as I see we aren't staying on topic very well.
+1
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #75 
Xaltd1

Shepaski, the value of having a local, fairly knowledgeable fish store is a great help. We in the US are overwhelmed with competing "chain" pet mega stores with less than knowledgeable help; that's why these web sites were created. I think your area is where we were 15 years ago; some incredibly valuable independent stores that specializes in fish. I'd bring my sick fish to them and ask for help. They may take the fish and treat it for you. I miss those "boutique" fish stores-they cared so much- so much more than just replacing the sick/dead fish.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #76 
Shepaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Shepaski, the value of having a local, fairly knowledgeable fish store is a great help. We in the US are overwhelmed with competing "chain" pet mega stores with less than knowledgeable help; that's why these web sites were created. I think your area is where we were 15 years ago; some incredibly valuable independent stores that specializes in fish. I'd bring my sick fish to them and ask for help. They may take the fish and treat it for you. I miss those "boutique" fish stores-they cared so much- so much more than just replacing the sick/dead fish.
not sure if the shop i patronize is that type a shop your referring to. we can only buy fish at "aquarium shops"(or fish shops) here that only sell fish. the one i frequent is run by an uncle and an auntie and the shops always packed with people their usually not free enough to help with sick fish (sometimes the tanks at the shop have dead fish in them and maybe one or 2 with fungal infection but that was only once.)
the other one just a few stores down is somewhat similar. but less people though the shop people don't seem like the type who would bother about sick fish.
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #77 
MSG

Most of the shopkeepers do not bother with treating ill fish because it doesn't make financial sense. The amount of time it would require to treat, it's easier to just dispose of the fish by feeding it to a larger animal.

That's the reason why Shepaski posted here.

Unless the shopowner specializes in Bettas, they typically don't know much other than the basics of care. All they want to do is keep the fish alive & healthy long enough to be sold.

Using $2-$5 to heal a fish they probably purchased for .10-.25 cents?

If there's any other members in S'pore reading this thread, let me know.

I'm trying to locate some betta type places near the East Side of S'pore in the next 2 weeks or so.

Good luck with your dropsy.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #78 
Shepaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Most of the shopkeepers do not bother with treating ill fish because it doesn't make financial sense. The amount of time it would require to treat, it's easier to just dispose of the fish by feeding it to a larger animal.

That's the reason why Shepaski posted here.

Unless the shopowner specializes in Bettas, they typically don't know much other than the basics of care. All they want to do is keep the fish alive & healthy long enough to be sold.

Using $2-$5 to heal a fish they probably purchased for .10-.25 cents?

If there's any other members in S'pore reading this thread, let me know.

I'm trying to locate some betta type places near the East Side of S'pore in the next 2 weeks or so.

Good luck with your dropsy.
you from S'pore as well?

at the moment i'm spending more then $2 - 5 on my fish that cost me $1 lol. not that i'm complaining, since Epson salt here is not cheap at the shop i go to ) : the internal bacteria medication already cost me $7 and i'll have to get the $8 epson salt if the $2+ one isn't recommended ><
Shepaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #79 
Xaltd1

You are not a bad owner; you just live in a culture that looks at fish more as a commodity than a true pet, it seems. Attitudes toward fish (and cats and dogs, too) change with localities within countries, different countries, and even different people. I've traveled across the U. S. and have seen packs of dogs roaming around- not wild dogs, but domestic dogs! That was out west; that sort of thing is illegal around here, a more urban area with leash laws.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #80 
MistersMom

Betta fish should never ever ever be housed together unless you are very experienced especially males and femals. I hope she gets better. That's awful.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote