Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #1 
zsmith89

new plants causing flaring

I bought my first beta a few weeks ago and upon researching I knew not to put in hard plastic plants, so this weekend I went to a pet store with a larger selection and bought some red silk plants. I took notice as soon as I adjusted him to the water and put him in the new setup he began flaring his gills constantly. I left him go figuring maybe he would get used to the plants, but he is still doing it today and ramming at the sides of the aquarium.

Should I give him a little longer to adjust or take the plants out before he gets to stressed?
zsmith89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #2 
Myates

Is he ramming and flaring at the sides of the tank, or at the plants themselves?

If it's the sides of the tank, then he is probably seeing his reflection.. happens usually when the tank light is on and room light is off.

If it's the plants he is only going after then he may not like that particular color.. it happens.

If he is doing it nonstop, then remove him and rearrange the tank and reintroduce him and see if that helps. If he is doing it only once in a while then let him be.. a flaring session a day is healthy for them.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #3 
zsmith89

He is flaring and ramming the tank, but he never did it before I added the plants. The tank is in the same spot it has been since I first set it up, and receiving the same amount of light. I figured maybe the light bounces off of the plants more and is the cause.

I'll go and try your suggestion on rearranging right now :D
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #4 
zsmith89

I followed your suggestion and I removed one of the plants and placed the remaining one in the middle of the tank. I also moved the tank into a different spot, which seemed to cut down on the glare of the light. So far it seems to be working.

Thank you for the advice and I'll keep an eye on him to make sure it works for him :D
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 
Myates

I hope it works good for him, in the future if he has settled down you can add the other plant back in. But for now he will have to learn to adjust and stop trying to attack everything :D Some boys just like to "puff out their chests and do the Tarzan yell" hehe
Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #6 
zsmith89

I've been checking him every half hour or so and watching him for a few minutes. He stopped doing it all together, so I think the issue is resolved :D He will only be in the little tank for another week or so(I'm hoping). Just need to find a proper stand for my 10 gallon tank and a spot to put it, then he will be set!

Thank you for the advice by the way :D
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #7 
Myates

You are very welcome, glad he is much calmer :)