Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #11 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Ok so basically, if they have irid on the body it's not worth it.
What about if they only have the blue webbing on the fins?

By the way, thanks for replying basement bettas! I love reading your reviews!
They will be bad blacks. If form outstanding then form and finnage can work for points. If you want t do the variations you have to develop and even color pattern in all three fins.. not just the tail or most of them. Always think symmetry.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #12 
aemaki09

Thanks! I meant to say all 3 but wasn't thinking. I think I'll work on something else for now, atleast get my foot in the door, and maybe eventually move on to working on this.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 AM   #13 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Thanks! I meant to say all 3 but wasn't thinking. I think I'll work on something else for now, atleast get my foot in the door, and maybe eventually move on to working on this.
I hear ya.. I love black but that I needed to get success on an easier color. SO doing red, irids, black and metallics. Keeoing them going and perfection color and form are going to keep me busy a long while
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #14 
aemaki09

Yeah no kidding! I have no idea what I'll be working on, I've actually got another thread called something like "are any of these guys worth it" in show bettas, would you mind checking it out? I cant decide which ones if any I should spawn, I dont have pics of any of most of the females yet because I havent recieved them, but I have no idea which of those boys would be the best to work with.
Any suggestions you have would be absolutely wonderful!
Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #15 
crowntaillove3

If I am understanding this, you guys are saying that it is a fault. I very recently joined the IBC, and I read in the handbook that there were standards for black orchids. And is it just me, or do you only see that quality in crowntails?
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #16 
aemaki09

You see black orchids in HM's too. Not sure if its in other tail types or not, havent really been looking.
And yes, your understanding right. IF the black orchid has irid on his body then its a fault. If he only has the coloration on his fins, and it has to be all three, then its okay to be shown in variations. -- atleast thats how I understood it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #17 
crowntaillove3

Okay. You are correct. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that you were saying that if it is a black orchid at all, then it is a faulted solid black. The standard does say that there CAN'T be any color on the body. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #18 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Okay. You are correct. Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought that you were saying that if it is a black orchid at all, then it is a faulted solid black. The standard does say that there CAN'T be any color on the body. Thanks for clarifying!
No problem! That's what I was trying to understand originally with this post too.
They are literally my favorite coloring, but I'll have to wait to get into them till I get my foot in the door with other color types. I'm about to start working with different types of blues. I have a platinum blue & white bf pair, blue marble pair, and a blue fancy pair coming to me this week hopefully
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #19 
crowntaillove3

This truly is one of the neatest coloring patterns! Are they rare?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #20 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
If I am understanding this, you guys are saying that it is a fault. I very recently joined the IBC, and I read in the handbook that there were standards for black orchids. And is it just me, or do you only see that quality in crowntails?
There is no standard for BO. It is something you see in the breeding of black and as a black fish would be faulted accordingly. The CT standard is the form standard. The basic colors are for ALL bettas. A black CT will be judged by same color standard as the black HM or PK.

This is what you are seeing in the standard:
"AREA 6 CLASS ONLY - BLACK ORCHID

The following Black Patterned Betta for Area 6 only is included in Division E Classes. "

Area 6 is not the US so that color is not acceptable here in a show class.