Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #1 
jsgossamer

Baby betta swimming weird

So I got my baby from petco about 3 months ago. Tiny black thing.. Swimming and eating fine. Three weeks ago, his fins started growing. I mean growing really long. I wasn't even sure he was a he until that point. Now he is swimming like his tail fin weighs a hundred pounds. He needs to wiggle like crazy to stay near the top of the water. He eats fine and is actually very active. Do you think maybe he has a defect or could he be sick? He is in a split tank with his sibling, which is apparently female, and she is perfectly fine.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

His bottom end sinks, right? I've bred my bettas, and four have had that problem. Let him be as is, make sure he is eating and able to get to the top. My fastest growing fry is one of those bottom-end-down babies. And now, he almost swims perfectly fine!!!! He could stay like that forever, or he could get better. I say give him a chance Just keep feeding him good foods, and make sure his water is clean and warm.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #3 
jsgossamer

Thanks. I figured it was do to his growing. Clean and warm he is. Hopefully he will grow out of it.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Mine is :3 I basically put it as if he wanted to live he would... If he was too weak he would pass away. I didn't make that decision for him.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #5 
jsgossamer

I went to the pet store and got him one of those betta hammock leaf things, he was on it half an hour after putting it in there. More research indicates that it may be a SBD of some type and is common with betta fry. Still hoping he grows out of it