Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #1 
VegasShimmer

What happened?

I came home tonight after running some errands and found Vegas with a mangled tail. I confess he had a plastic plant in the tank (which I immediately removed), though he has never had a problem with it before. He was also flaring at me when I got home. Is it possible he had some sort of tantrum or stressed episode? He flares at a mirror on occasion, but has never done it at me. I just did a 50% water change this morning and cleaned a little waste out (there wasn't much). He was fine the rest of the morning and afternoon. He has been in his new tank for a few days and the filter was not running at the time (I only run it at night for 4-5 hours when the light is on). He's never shown any signs of stress or agitation before. He is in a 1.5g tank and the temp has been about 74-76 degrees all day. He just has a betta log, silk fern plant, and his hammock leaf now. Will his tail heal with time? Is there something I can put in the water to help mend it?

Sorry for the poor picture quality. I lightened them to show more detail, especially the one with him flaring. I don't want people to think the tank light is THAT bright.
Attached Images

VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

A few off topic comments: why is the tank so cool and why do you turn the filter on and off?

They look like splits to me which should heal quickly (maybe a day or two) on their own with clean, warm water, but it should really be at least 78 degrees. Spits often occur from excessive flaring. Maybe something freaked him out? Or maybe is was the decor, which you've removed, now.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

You betta is gourgeous:) Good that you took plastic plant out. In 1.5 gall tank you don't even need filter, it more stress him out then help. For 1.5 gall i would really do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Or even 2x50% and 1-100% a week with You need filter only if you cycle and 1.5 gall i would not recommend to cycle. And with tail like he has he needs less water movement.
You betta is fine and his tail will heal just keep water super clean and less water movement.
Just if you do 100% water change make sure you acclimate your betta. Do you know how to acclimate betta to the new water?

Ayala i didn't see your thread,we put at the same time:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

That's okay because it was good for you to mention that a filter isn't needed. A 1.5 gallon cannot establish a cycle... Sometimes I read too fast and forget the details because I read so many threads a day I just get all mixed up :p its bad to turn a filter on and off in any size tank, though.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #5 
VegasShimmer

Thanks for the advice! The 'tank' came with the filter attached. There is no way to unattach it from the light, so that is why it is only on at night. I've never been totally satisfied with it, so I believe I will make the change to a different non-filtered one. I don't have a heater because, aside from keeping a moderately warm house, I was told that a heater is not good for tanks that are under 2g. Even the mini heater's do not usually come with a thermostat and I could risk overheating my fish. I have a thermometer attached and keep a close eye on the temps. It has never been lower than the 74-76 range.

I do a 50% water change twice a week, and a 100% water change once a week. I also suction out any waste just about every day. I know how to acclimate them to the new water on 100% changes. For now, I will remove the filter and keep the light off until I can get to the store for a new tank, which should hopefully be Monday. I'll research the mini heaters to see if any have dependable thermostats that could be trusted in a tank under 2g. Thanks again for the advice!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I think you could heat a 1.5 gallon with an adjustable 25 watt. I've seen people use the Hydor Theo in one gallon tanks. The only thing is when you add the heater it heats a smaller tank much faster than a larger tank and it may have to be set much lower than 78 degrees, especially if your house is so warm. If its possible I would get at least a slightly larger tank. The Hydor Theo 25 watt is actually rated for 2-7 gallon tanks. I have one in both my 5 gallons and my four gallon.
It's also good to have a heater that's adjustable just in case your fish were to get sick. Certain illnesses can be treated by increasing the temp to over 80 degrees which is difficult without a heater :p
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM   #7 
TheCheese909

To me it looks like ripping due to too much flaring. That's happened to my HM and it looked exactly the same.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #8 
Kim

Are you turning the light on all night? That may be stressing him out - fish, just like people, need a regular day/night cycle.

If you are looking into buying a heater already, I would just upgrade to a larger tank (basic tanks around 5 gallons usually end up being the same price or cheaper than the small novelty kits) and get an adjustable heater with a thermostat. Trust me, it will make your life much easier in the end ;) Also with a tank this size, you could leave it uncycled or cycle it, but you will end up doing fewer water changes either way.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #9 
VegasShimmer

Kim - Thanks for the info. I have been researching slightly larger tanks and heating devices. I am comtemplating a divided 5g for Vegas and Casper. Shimmer is still too tiny to move from the 1.1g, and he seems to be doing great in it for now. A 5g is probably the max largest I can go because, aside from lower back issues, I own a cat that LOVES water and I don't have a lot of places to put large tanks up high (out of cat's curiousity...and paws). I am definitely thinking about this a lot.

I do turn off the lights at night. I only turn on the tank lights from about 5-6pm until 10-11pm, when I normally go to bed.

Question - can a 5g go cycled or uncycled? And I realize it would definitely need a heater.

Last edited by VegasShimmer; 01-06-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

You don't need to cycle it but if you do, you won't need as large of water changes or as many.