Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Try artificially hatching the eggs. . . . since you're trying to create your own line of specific form, you will need to buy new genes later. Instead of buying new fish but not get anywhere, artificial hatching is the way to go. Thus you can save up to get great finnage in the future and introduce them to your line.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #12 
ChibreneyDragon

I was going to try and find above and beyond Alucard, because I REALLY dont want to pass on the egg eater habit. I've chatted on IBC and most of them say that egg eating and fin biting are genetic.

Next spawning I plan on trying to artificially hatch the eggs. Since getting on this site, I've encountered tons of amazing new techniques and info! THANK YOU!
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #13 
Myates

There is no "egg eater" gene IMO.. at most it's a habit, but really it's got a lot to do with fertilizing/environment.. they eat their eggs for any number of reasons, normally due to not being fertile (not quite reaching the wrap around) or he was hungry and didn't get enough during conditioning, or even if he thinks there won't be enough space/food for the fry.

Have yet to ever see actual proof of "egg eating gene" being passed down, and most people who get their "egg eaters" to breed and raise the fry continue to breed the fry with no issues. Unsure who told you that from IBC - keep in mind anybody can join IBC, does not make them experts, and not every member actually breeds.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #14 
ChibreneyDragon

Ive started to look more into bad traits in bettas.

Most of the reason I believe in an "egg eater gene" is due to the fact that there is a lot of experience of fish that have the habit that breed more males that have the same habit.

Psychological issues are capable of being passed down, whether it human, dog, or fish. And these possible issues of passing psychological habits is what I have begun to research. My only problem is extracting the eggs to hatch them before the SOB EATS them.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #15 
DragonFyre14

That sucks that he is an egg eater (whether or not it is able to be passed on genetically. Both sides have good points as to why it would or would not be passed genetically) He is such a gorgeous fish, I can only imagine what his offspring would look like
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #16 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
That sucks that he is an egg eater (whether or not it is able to be passed on genetically. Both sides have good points as to why it would or would not be passed genetically) He is such a gorgeous fish, I can only imagine what his offspring would look like

The kicker is, I tried to respawn him...and the female I put him with is terrified of him... but not the other male.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #17 
DragonFyre14

That sucks. He just loves causing problems doesn't he?
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #18 
ChibreneyDragon

I started class today, so Im just going to let them do what they do, and keep an eye out for another pair. That same female wont spawn with the other male because she is so violent for fishie love that he cant even EMBRACE her. Go figure.

Hopefully my petstore will have the traits Im looking for, or a local breeder will come up with an acceptable cull.