Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #11 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy314 View Post
Mystery snails are a type of apple snail.
+1
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #12 
sunstar93

I had 4 albinos and a male betta in a 10 gallon at one point. I think you should get a couple more (I noticed mine were more active when I bought my last 2) and you should be good. Just be aware that some bettas love bottom feeder tablets and algae wafers! (learned that the hard way!)
(:
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #13 
Bluewind

They do grow though Sun, but I do agree with you that with Corys, the more there are, the more active they are. If you would like more than 4, I would wait until the tank has caught up with the increased bioload of the 2 more Corys. I would worry about having more than 5 though as it could really stress your tank if they all reach their max size.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #14 
sunstar93

They were full grown when I got them. One was actually put into the bag by accident. They've since been re-homed because I couldn't afford to upgrade (I wanted more). But I had good filtration and it was nice to see them grouped together, definitely made a nice impression on the tank. Although 3 would also make a nice small group. And Bluewind is right, definitely make sure the filtration can catch up before adding more!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #15 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish11788 View Post
not to be rude, but i was always told there was no such thing as a mystery snail. I believe they are inca, nerite and apple snails.
the word mystery explains things :P
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #16 
Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy314 View Post
What kind of corycats are they? bronze/green or pygmy?
They are Bronze corycats (the albino variety).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar93 View Post
I had 4 albinos and a male betta in a 10 gallon at one point. I think you should get a couple more (I noticed mine were more active when I bought my last 2) and you should be good. Just be aware that some bettas love bottom feeder tablets and algae wafers! (learned that the hard way!)
(:
My betta loves the shimp pellets I give the corys I have to trick her during feeding time. I'm definately getting more corys soon. Hopefully on a relatively warm day so they don't freeze on the car ride home. Curse you New England winter.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #17 
Fishybitty

I think that would be fine for sure, or at least one more cory and a snail definitely.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #18 
Bluewind

I know I have said this on like a billion other thread already, but this is such a handy tool for any tank. Turkey Baster. They cost a dollar and I use mine all the time. If you don't have one, get one. Not only is it good for cleaning up small messes in your substrate, they are great to bypass your betta with food for the bottom feeders in order to give them time to get to it before he does! If you have a sick, visually impared, or just plain lazy bottom feeder, you can drop the food right in front of them!

I have a Ghost Shrimp who eats 1 Betta Pellet every day. I just get the pellet wet, suck it up and the turkey baster, and get it to him. Works like a charm!

When my guys get playful and end up getting sand all over orniments in my tank, I suck water up in my baster and use it to "dust" my decor!

When I am doing water chem test, I get my water using my baster (after rinsing it of corse) to get a perfect amount every time!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-06-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #19 
Fishybitty

Mystery snails are actually female or male. I've read though they can change their sex over time? Idk haha
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #20 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
Mystery snails are actually female or male. I've read though they can change their sex over time? Idk haha
All Apple Snails are sexed. You need a boy and a girl to have babies unlike most snails. If you have just 1, you will not have babies. However, if you have 2 snails of the same sex and they are young, one will change genders on ya.

You can actually sex them by taking them out of the tank and flip them on their back. When they try to turn themselves back over, you should be able to see a penis or lack there of.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
10gal, stocking, stocking help, ten gal, ten gallon