Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #1 
Meggie6347

Exclamation 2 new rescue attempts...*Really bad!* PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone!

So long and short of it, we just went to petco and my mom has sympathy issues for the bettas

Anyway, I have 2 baby bettas that are both in very bad condition...I will get pictures up as soon as I find my good camera...

The first one
~ It is smaller than my pinky finger nail...smallest one I have ever seen. She was in very cold water and can barely swim. The only food in there were huge pellets about the size of her face..and there was no way she could eat them...so I don't even know the last time she ate. These are her problems:
* Ammonia poisoning I assume
* Malnutrition
* Looks like ich
* Looks like fungal or bacterial problem on her body/gills
* Finrot

The second one
~ It is a bit bigger, but not by much...same conditions: probably no food, very cold water, etc. These are his/her symptoms:
* Ammonia poisoning I assume
* Very crooked spine
* Can barely swim (usually does weird little wobble movements with her tail down...almost like an "L" shape)

So here's the catch...I don't have any room for them...well I don't have anything extra with a heater, so they will have to float in my sorority tank, which is where they are right now acclimating to the clean, warm water. Now they will have to stay in there until I can either release them into my sorority tank or find another home for them (whether with me or with someone else)...However, considering their sizes, I think they should be fine in the cups for a while. They will be warm, I am religious about cleaning the cups, and I feed them well...

They are in those petco cups right now as I said, and I don't really know what to do for them. I know at least the first one needs several medications, but how should I go about that? Which one do I attack first? And should I do the full doses or not because she is so so so tiny? I have ich medicine and Maracyn Plus for fungal and bacterial...I also have aquarium salt. I don't even know what to do for the second baby except for clean, warm water and a healthy diet.

Here is everything you should need to know about the conditions they are going to be kept in as soon as I finish acclimating them (let me know if there is anything else you need to know):
*82 degrees
*Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: all 0 (whenever they get cleaned, they will be refilled with my tank water from my sorority tank which is pristine with the water parameters I just mentioned).
*I have many kinds of food to feed them...I have microworms (live) and as soon as they can get their mouths around them, I have spirulina brine shrimp, brine shrimp, and bloodworms (all of these are frozen, not freeze dried)...
*they will get cleaned every single day religiously unless someone suggests I clean them more than that.

Please, ANY help you can offer me is appreciated! Anything at all! Even if you aren't quite sure, just any input at all...I do not want these precious little things to die!

Like I said, I am going to go get the camera right now and try to get pics of them..

Thank you!
Meg
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #2 
WhiskeyHands

Melafix:
A safe way to treat open red sores, fin and tail rots, eye cloud, pop eye, body slime and mouth fungus and open body wounds. Also recommended for treating to newly introduced fish to reduce risk of disease outbreak.

Pimafix:
A safe, all natural way to treat a broad range of fungal fish infection. Also internal and external bacterial infections.

Aquarium salt, idk if its safe with bettas, wait and ask

Last edited by WhiskeyHands; 01-06-2013 at 05:12 PM.
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #3 
Artist with a betta

DO NOT USE MELAFIX it has tea tree oil that can coat their labarinth organ and suffocate them.
Generaly avoid anything that has fix on the end of it.
If you have already added Melafix do a 100% change imedently
And if dosed correctly aquarium salt is 100% safe

Last edited by Artist with a betta; 01-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
DO NOT USE MELAFIX it has tea tree oil that can coat their labarinth organ and suffocate them.
Generaly avoid anything that has fix on the end of it.
didnt know this one, thanks, i just bought 2 of these bottle today
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #5 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyHands View Post
didnt know this one, thanks, i just bought 2 of these bottle today
I bought a bottle and used it on my little guy I almost learned my lesson a little too late, but thanks to all the amazing people on this forum I saved him just in time. The next day the pet store guy that told me it was safe for a betta got a huge piece of my mind. I now have a $20 credit at said pet store, and got a compleat refund. Which I suggest you go do.

Last edited by Artist with a betta; 01-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #6 
eatmice2010

Its hard times in the kingdom
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
I bought a bottle and used it on my little guy I almost learned my lesson a little too late, but thanks to all the amazing people on this forum I saved him just in time. The next day the pet store guy that told me it was safe for a betta got a huge piece of my mind. I now have a $20 credit at said pet store, and got a compleat refund. Which I suggest you go do.
well can i use it on other fish that do not have the labyrinth organ? if yes, im keeping it for my other fish
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #8 
Artist with a betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyHands View Post
well can i use it on other fish that do not have the labyrinth organ? if yes, im keeping it for my other fish
Depends on the fish I would suggest you Google the effects of Melafix on the other types of fish you have.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #9 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Depends on the fish I would suggest you Google the effects of Melafix on the other types of fish you have.
Just googled, im safe to go
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #10 
Meggie6347

I am having a hard time finding my camera...

I haven't dosed anything yet, they are just in some warm clean water...I don't know what I should do....especially for the first one? Should I try to attack the ich first? Are there any ich medications that aren't safe for baby bettas? Or should I just do aquarium salt? For both of them? And how much for the cups?

Sorry for all the questions!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote