Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #11 
Luxavior

could you provide a picture of the entire tank setup?
Luxavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #12 
Demysta

Certainly, Luxavoir. I've attached it. Its a 4 gallon tank with all silk plants, a little cave tunnel, and a lighthouse. Tunnel and lighthouse have no sharp edges whatsoever to cut the little guy's fins. :S
Next image is my attempt to snap a shot at the bloody red spots on Alpha's anal fin. I couldn't get a good shot because he's still not reacting to me as he usually would and he's now hiding to avoid me. My iPhone 4 is not the best thing for taking pictures, so the saturation is off, hence why I had to circle the areas which have the bloody red pockets.
Attached Images

Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #13 
Demysta

UPDATE 2:
Since yesterday, I've noticed my fish being less lethargic, however, there are still the bloody tips on his anal fin, and they are now appearing on his caudal fin. :( The large pocket of blood I noticed yesterday now has a small little growth on it, by the looks of it. It appears to be a small grey dot on the pocket of blood on the anal fin. He still has not eaten a thing. When I dropped food for him, he did take lunges at it, but missed every time and has now given up on eating. I've tried to coax him into eating with his favourite food, but nothing's helped.
I performed another 50% water change, and added Maracyn-2 in case. To me, it looks like it could be a bacterial or fungal infection on my fish, so I thought I'd give Maracyn-2 a shot at curing him.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

I would send a PM to Sakura8 and Callistra. You could send Sakura a link to this thread and ask if she could take a look. Both have helped me out a lot with diseases and medications.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #15 
Demysta

I will, thank you. This sudden change is really scaring me. I didn't notice it before, but theres a small bloody streak on the side of his face too. :[
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

The rapid onset seems to me like a bacterial infection but I am not an expert on this kind of ailment or treatment of it. Callistra and Sakura8 will likely be of more help than I am. But feel free to keep this thread updated on his condition!

I really hope you can figure it out and get him feeling 100% again!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #17 
callistra

I can't really see anything from the photos. I see a lot of natural red coloring in him. Are you sure that's not all it is?

Because by you're description, if it's not his natural coloring, you're describing only one possible thing.. septicemia. I pmed you about how to treat this, if that is indeed what it is.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #18 
Demysta

Yeah it looks like a scratch wound on his face. :( Guess its septicemia. His condition is still worsening. He has trouble breathing now and is laying on the red plant for easy access to air. I don't know if he'll make it. I won't be able to get home and treat him until around 9:30pm.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #19 
dbrooke1

it sounds like septecemia to me. one of the symtpoms is also trouble breathing and it does progress pretty quickly. :( i hope he can make it with the treatment info the other person sent you. praying for you and your little guy!
dbrooke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #20 
Sakura8

Hi Demysta. I'm so sorry about your guy. He's so handsome; he looks like my first betta Sherman. :3

Regarding his sudden lethargy. If I'm understanding this correctly, when he was moved into his tank, the water came from a different source than before? Although you acclimated him properly, he may have reacted to being in the water after a while. What I'm wondering is if there is a drastic difference in the pH of the previous water and the new water. A high pH can sometimes can eye problems and fin problems. If the water had a much higher pH than he was accustomed to, it could have caused him some temporary vision problems as his osmotic processes adjusted to the new pH. If those particular symptoms seem to be better now that he has been in the newer water for a time, then he has probably adjusted and we won't need to worry about that.

I do see the red streaks and after comparing his fins to the fins of Sherman, I definitely can tell they are not normal. As Callistra said, it looks like he may have septicemia, which is a bacterial infection of the bloodstream. The Maracyn 2 is supposed to be quite effective for hemorraghic septicemia as well as fin rot so I would continue with treatment. However, I should warn you that if your pH is indeed high, above 7.2 or so, then the minocycline in Maracyn 2 (the active ingredient) will become much less effective and may not do anything at all. If you do find that's the case, I would recommend switching to Seachem Kanaplex if you can find it or API Triple Sulfa if you can't find the Kanaplex.

If your heater is adjustable, then you may be able to keep the temperature up at 78 simply by raising the thermostat to about 84 F. One of my tanks has the same problem where the ambient room temp is very cold and I have been able to keep the temp at a steady 78 by raising the thermostat so the heater is always on. Just be sure to carefully monitor the temp to make sure the tank doesn't overheat.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote