Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #1 
stellar981

Betta with SBD again...

I was on here a week ago and was told that 3 pellets (Omega One Betta Buffet) a day for my small betta is a bit low. So I upped it to 4 (2 twice a day). Well he is again floating, so I am guessing 3 was plenty. My question is, he is in a 5 gal that was set up just over a week ago. He was put in there to try and help his tail biting (from a 10 gal)... and i don't think he's been doing that anymore. But now I have the floating issue again. Would it be ok to treat his 5 gal with Epsom salts? There are no live plants in there. Does Epsom salt affect a cycle? I know its a brand new cycle, but I am just curious. I also wonder about when I am done treating. Does an 100% water change need to be done after treatment? Or can it gradually be removed by water changes, and lack of adding more to the new water? I know I have read that fish can be in epsoms for an unlimited amount of time (where Aquarium salt is a 10 day limit). So what is everyone's advice on this matter. I'd rather not stress him out and put him in hospital tank. Please let me know what you think..

Thanks!
stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #2 
stellar981

Anyone?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #3 
callistra

Epsom salts are totally fine in your main tank. Actually they're a fertilizer for plants so even then it would be fine.

You can just gradually remove it with water changes because it's totally non toxic and safe to use for weeks on end.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #4 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Epsom salts are totally fine in your main tank. Actually they're a fertilizer for plants so even then it would be fine.

You can just gradually remove it with water changes because it's totally non toxic and safe to use for weeks on end.
thank you!! will do.