Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #51 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The semi aquatics look great and help water quality.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #52 
sandybottom
Reference Team

yeah that's the one i'm gonna get too. i was asking my boyfriend about drilling a hole and decided it would be difficult to do without breaking it. our other options we came up with were to either make a collar out of styrofoam or acrylic to put between the top and jar with cord notches in them or, to make a bamboo fountain/filter/hood combo.it will be low flow. i just need to find the right light for it now. it would be cute to get the one gallon and the two gallon side by side.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #53 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I grow my Lucky Bamboo the smaller ones in the filter and larger grom the space between filter and lid.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #54 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
yeah that's the one i'm gonna get too. i was asking my boyfriend about drilling a hole and decided it would be difficult to do without breaking it. our other options we came up with were to either make a collar out of styrofoam or acrylic to put between the top and jar with cord notches in them or, to make a bamboo fountain/filter/hood combo.it will be low flow. i just need to find the right light for it now. it would be cute to get the one gallon and the two gallon side by side.
Cool. Do you mean drilling through the lid or the jar itself? I obviously wouldnt drill the glass, but I've drilled through metal jar lids for various setups that I forget what they are now lol. IDK which size Ill get (1 or 2 gallons), I guess first Ill have to see if we can go to Walmart and if they have them.
CrazyFishDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #55 
sandybottom
Reference Team

crazy, any progress yet? i haven't started yet. i have to build my 40 breeder first.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #56 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
crazy, any progress yet? i haven't started yet. i have to build my 40 breeder first.
Not yet, but Im at my dad's on wednesday until monday, so hopefully I'll start in that time period. Sorry I haven't posted anything lately. I actually may try to look around my house for a big plastic container to use, just because marimo is EXPENSIVE where I go to, and I don't have a TON of money for this (only $50, which is a decent amount, but marimo are like $9 at Petsmart and $25 at my LFS). My main struggle is what EXACTLY I'll be using for a tank/container, because I'll need a cover, but a cover that has or Id be able to add holes in it for air and semi-aquatic plants.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #57 
sandybottom
Reference Team

ask around restaurants for giant pickle or olive jars. you may find one for free. worth a try.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #58 
CrazyFishDude

Quote:
ask around restaurants for giant pickle or olive jars. you may find one for free. worth a try.
Yeah I'll try that. I did the math though and I actually probably can afford to buy a tank (a cool glass cube I found is $15, the marimo at Petsmart is $8, and a glass shrimp is about $0.37, leaving me with about $25 leftover, so I actually will have more money than I thought). Also, I plan to start this project soon, but I'll make a new thread for it, just so more people can see the full thing.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #59 
CrazyFishDude

Oh, and I forgot the cost of food for the shrimp. Either way, I'll still have money leftover which will maybe go toward some semi-aquatics.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #60 
CrazyFishDude

Well, I went to Petsmart today to get the stuff for the setup... The plans changed... A lot.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....84#post1389484