Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #21 
Oldfishlady

It can take a fair amount of time for MB to manifest itself-Due to their ages-it is most likely water quality and nutrition related-with the stress from that can compromise the immune response.

You have good instincts on what to do....Keeping them in the small temporary cups floating in the heated tank to maintain water temp, covered to retain heat/humidity, clean water and good nutrition.

If you have a tannin source-add this to their water-Right now, IMO/E you need to work on the immune response-By giving them the tools to fight for themselves-You have a good start with what you are doing now.

Sometimes with really young fish they can bounce back or sudden death...

I would premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the tannins-steep to a dark tea color-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and use this for 25% daily water changes-once you get them acclimated to the new chemistry with 25% water changes every 15min for 1hr on the first day...

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #22 
Meggie6347

Thank you so much! I will get started on this today! Thankfully the little guys made it through the night and look like they are a bit more active and swimming, although still very sick...I am just happy there is SOME improvement, little though it may be.....
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear, a lot with this species-especially the neglected....patience...we can only do so much. I am pulling for them...good luck...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #24 
Meggie6347

Quick question...just for clarity...you said for an hour do a 25% water change every 15 minutes in their cups and replace the water I take out with the epsom salt mixture...and then after that keep up my daily water changes and always replace it with the epsom salt mixture? And how long should I keep up this treatment? And one more thing, is there any specific kind of epsom salt?

Sorry for the confusion on my part..

Good news, I got them to eat some more spirulina brine shrimp today..and their tummies finally look a bit more full..I am still trying to find my camera to post pics!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #25 
Oldfishlady

No problem,

If you will premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug-this will allow you more control so you can provide the therapeutic dosage when you make partial water changes.

I use a clean 1gal milk jug-Add my Epsom salt and tannin source of either IAL(1crushed/gal) or dried Oak leaf(20crushed/gal) and let it steep for at least 30min. This will allow the tannins to start to release and salt to dissolve.

I use this premixed treatment water and make 25% water changes every 15min for 1hr the first day-This will get them acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment.
They need to stay in the covered QT container in this treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 10-14 days.

The next day or about 24h-Using this premixed treatment water make 25-50% water changes every day.
If you used a tannin source-the water in the 1gal jug should look darker each day-and this is what you want.

Sometimes this premixed treatment water can cool off too much and if it does. What I do-I will pour some in a container and let it float in the heated tank for about an hour before I plan to make my water change to bring the water to temp.

Epsom salt-usually you can find this at most stores that have a pharmacy dept. Magnesium sulfate without any perfumes etc....It should have directions on it for humans to take oral/by mouth. If we can drink it-it won't have anything in it that would be harmful/toxic to the fish.

Tannins-I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf-any species of Oak tree-the only difference I have seen with species is the color of tannin.

Good to hear they are eating...thats usually a good sign....
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #26 
Meggie6347

Okay I do have the right epsom salt...that's good! I think I will start the treatment as soon as I get back from the gym (I have to go in a little bit)...

I finally got pictures of them..I put my pinky finger up to the littlest one just for comparison (keep in mind that I have the tiniest hands/fingers EVER)! haha I don't know for sure, but I think you might be able to see some of her ich spots and fin tears...not 100% if it is rot or not..

On the other one, you can see how she is still swimming with her tail down

The extra stuff in their containers is just some SBS because I was just feeding them...you can already see that their tummies look a little more full...considering that they were so skinny yesterday that their tummies actually caved IN. O_o

And also for a size reference, those other bettas in my tank are MAYBE half grown...still very small.

Okay so this is baby #1 She was laying on the bottom yesterday and she is already swimming around a bit more...

And baby #2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #27 
Meggie6347

Okay I have started the treatment...I have done 2 25% water changes in their cups every 15 minutes and replacing with the epsom salt mixture and I have two more to go...and tommorow this time I will begin regular wc's again, except I will be replacing with the mixture instead of my tank water...

The epsom salt won't hurt the babies will it? Like if they die it won't be because I killed them with epsom salt? And it should help with the ich at the same time?

Thank you all for all of your help! I really appreciate it!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #28 
Tikibirds

I don't think the epsom will hurt them. It's alot gentler then Aquarium salt and can be used for long term for adults. AQ salt, on the other hand is hard on their internal organs, mainly the kidney's ( i think?) and should only be used no more then 2 weeks. Most people on here say 10 days.
Not sure what it does for ick. I only had to deal with it once and I used quick cure. Not sure I would recommend that for babies so young though since the main ingredient is Malachite green. I don't know if a baby could handle that.

I'm sure whatever OFL said to do is the best course of action for the babies :)

If they are swimming around and eating, that is a good sign.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 01-07-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote