Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #11 
Ezzie

I'm at the fish place and they have none of the products you suggested, they do have melafix and pimafix though. Ill get a new bottle of stress coat and they also have ammo lock by API. The only thing by seachem I have found is stress guard that's an antiseptic for fish. Any thoughts?
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #12 
Ezzie

I spoke to the aquarium guy again and he said the same thing, don't change the water and treat with that other product he gave me. I thought these people would be more knowledgable ey ?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #13 
callistra

A lot of people who work at pet stores are pretty clueless on fish unfortunately.

None of what you suggested is going to help. Sorry :( Can you use yellowpages.com to call 'aquarium' and 'pet' stores in your area?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #14 
Ezzie

I know of many places around here that sell fish medications however they have a very limited range :/ most of the things you told me about the fish people had no idea. Maybe they don't sell those products here ? Ill keep up with the clean water and such and see what happens.. Unfortunately australia isn't the best for brands as stuff as much as America, you guys are lucky!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #15 
peachii

We rescued a fish from the pet store that had pretty bad fin rot, the pet store sold us Bettafix (Melaleuca) to treat him with. It's been 7 days of treating him and he still has the lighter color(see through)/grey on the tips of all his fins. Is this regrowth or still fin rot, we aren't sure?

We thought he might be getting better, blowing a few bubbles and eating fine but the tips of all his fins worry me.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #16 
Ezzie

I'm going to move him into the smaller tank I have, will be easier to medicate and keep clean and warm. Im finding the heater is struggling to Keep a constant temperature. i also bought a thermomiter to help moniter it. It's 9liters.

Edit: I have two more places close to me I can have a look at for medications, other wise I'm stuck with what to do with him...
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #17 
Desensitizer

I'm gonna recommend that you order kanaplex off ebay for $8. Use a credit card and don't leave your computer chair. I mentioned my fish had popeye and I got it in two days (I live in the same state as the supplier though) http://www.ebay.com/itm/321033890531
The ebay shipping time estimate was 3 days more than it took for me. (said 5 days took me 2)
If you look for kanaplex from sellers on ebay they are all in that ball park AND you can find the one in the state nearest to you to further speed shipment time (make sure to mention your fish is in dire need to insure they ship it the day they receive payment)

If you have clamp lights (or regular lights) you can place them over the tank to generate heat. I did that and it was the difference that added enough temperature to both get my tank to 81* and keep it at a consistent temperature

Last edited by Desensitizer; 01-05-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #18 
Ezzie

Good idea with ordering it online! Ill have a look when I get home. Does that seller ship to aus? I'm on my phone right now.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #19 
Desensitizer

Nah but these guys will
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEACHEM-KANA...84559efd3#shId
You might not be able to wait that long for it to arrive though, I'd ask callistra
Desensitizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #20 
Laki

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
We rescued a fish from the pet store that had pretty bad fin rot, the pet store sold us Bettafix (Melaleuca) to treat him with. It's been 7 days of treating him and he still has the lighter color(see through)/grey on the tips of all his fins. Is this regrowth or still fin rot, we aren't sure?

We thought he might be getting better, blowing a few bubbles and eating fine but the tips of all his fins worry me.
For best results- you should start your own thread about your fish. To do so, click the hyperlink around the top of the page where it says "betta disease and emergencies" (or the closest resemblance to that) and then top of the page, right hand side is a "new thread" button.

In the meantime, take your betta off bettafix. That stuff contains tea tree oil which can, overtime, lead to damage of the labrynth organ which bettas use to breathe air.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote