Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #1 
FishCat13

Hi Everyone!

I thought I would make a post to introduce myself and make some connections for any problems and questions I will certainly have in the future!

My name is Amelia. I am in my last year of college (which means that soon I will be able to get a tank that is bigger than 10-gallons!)
During college I have had two male betta fish but both have unfortunately passed away. My first betta, Sinbad, was a beautiful red betta but he died after my (inebriated) father dumped half a container of food into his 1-gallon tank. He survived for about two weeks after this, but he never recovered. My second betta, Amadeus, was amazing. He was mostly white with some black spots when I got him and a few months later he was all black with green highlights. He was gorgeous! And he had such an amazing personality. But last summer, after having him for about 10 months, he developed dropsy (at least I'm pretty sure it was dropsy) and died before I could even figure out what it was, much less get him treated.

I have a cat named Lily, but she can't live with me at school.

Yesterday I purchased a 10-gallon tank (before I have had a 1-gallon and a 2.5-gallon). I have some decor in it and I am letting it dechlorinate and cycle as we speak. I would really like to start a betta sorority in it. My allergies continue to get worse as I get older, so I have a feeling that soon any pet with fur will be out of the question, so I want to start keeping fish as a hobby. I love the colors and personalities that bettas have, and keeping more than one female seems like it would be a dream!

I am, however, trying to figure out where to get my fish. There seems to be a very limited selection at local petsmart stores (not to mention their health is questionable) and when you're trying to find five or six females of approximately the same size and (preferably) different colors, it's almost impossible at these stores. I would love to find a breeder or store that has females that are used to living in a sorority together, or sister fish, or at least a larger selection of females so I can see how aggressive they are and have some variety. I am not crazy about the idea of shipping fish (this would seem like a stressful process for any species) but if I need to then I will. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

And if anyone has any feedback on establishing a female sorority, let me know!

Thanks!
FishCat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 
waterdog

Hi Amelia. Welcome to "Betta Nuts Inc!" You started with a question. Put on your bathing suit and get ready for a flood of knowledge!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #3 
midwestbetta

Welcome Amelia!, Im also new here to.
midwestbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 
FishCat13

Thanks! Nice to meet you all!
FishCat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...