Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Question 5 or 10 gallon?

So, since I might be reducing my betta numbers soon (enough to be removed out of the 10 gallon), i was just wondering what could go in a 10 (or 5 gallon) that isn't betta related.

The decision as to what tank I use has to depend on whether or not I lost Jingles soon and what I plan on doing with Starburst, my newest one. If I do lose Jingles AND I manage to find someone who will take Starburst, then I will onl y have 2 fish and they can easily fit in my 5 gallon.

I know I want a Crested Gecko for the tank when I move out,so this is a "what if" scenario.

So the main question:

WHAT kinds of fsh set ups can I put in a 10 gallon freshwater (Without a betta)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Honestly not too many. And most of the fish that could work are rather delicate, but I can give you a list if you would like. An interesting alternative is a red cherry shrimp colony. They are a lot more interesting to watch than most people realize and you could sell them once the colony gets large enough.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #3 
midwestbetta

You can do a lot of things with a 10gal setup. You can do plant tank and guppies, neon tetra or a few angel fish, molly, killies.
midwestbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Angels would need a 55G at the minimum, and mollies tend to do better in 20Gs and brackish water. What about dwarf puffers? They're pure freshwater and the rule for them is usually 5G per each one. You can only keep girl together, males would fight. Kinda like bettas but puffers. ^.^
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbetta View Post
You can do a lot of things with a 10gal setup. You can do plant tank and guppies, neon tetra or a few angel fish, molly, killies.
Angelfish? No. They are a large, shoaling cichlid and have the potential to get 10 inches high. Mollies, probably not as they get a few inches long. Maybe some of the smaller killies. A 10 gal is a lot smaller than most people realize.

LTB had a really good suggestion with dwarf puffers, tho! I know a few friends that keep them and love them!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #6 
djembekah

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbetta View Post
You can do a lot of things with a 10gal setup.
nope not really

Quote:
You can do plant tank and guppies, neon tetra
not really comfortably

Quote:
or a few angel fish
absolutely NOT

Quote:
molly, killies.
don't know much about either of those but also pretty sure you need a bigger tank for them.

10 gallons is a really small tank in the grand scheme of things. Izzy's suggestion is a good suggestion, shrimp are funny. you could do a single axolotl, if they're legal where you live.

Honestly i'd just divide the 10 for the last two boys if it were me.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #7 
Firefly85

Guppies can do fine in a ten gallon, But an endler colony would do even better. Dwarf corys. here is a link of the top ten for the 10gal

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...allon-tank.htm
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Killies, sparkling gourami, scarlet badis, liqourice gourami, celestial pearl danios and microdevario kubotai are all fish I have kept that can be housed in the 5-10 gallon range (the schooling fish obviously need a larger tank).

Killifish are great and a pair can live quite happily in a 5 gallon tank. You could have a whole group of clown killifish in there if you wanted to. I have four of them in a 2.5 gallon space and they are extremely healthy and active.

Many species that are suitable for nano tanks are quite delicate as mentioned, so you generally need a cycled, established tank before introducing them.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote