Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #11 
RabidAliver

Just tested the water...it came back as 0s on both Nitrites and Ammonia. Nitrates were only at about 14. If my water's at a safe quality for him, aside from water changes, why is he acting odd?
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

It could be due to the water movement-Some of the Long fin males can get stressed and some tolerate it without any issue. Some will tolerate it for months and once they mature a bit more-they can start having problems with it.

IMO/E-as males mature they sometimes will not be very active to start with. Sexually mature males normally don't swim non-stop or in constant movement-unless they have a reason-like in view of another fish-especially another Betta, when they swim around to explore-either looking for food or invaders or at feeding time or when you approach the tank or if something is wrong. This species being a surface dwelling, nest builder that establishes territory-tell us that they shouldn't be in constant movement by nature, however, they should swim about on occasion-just not all the time.

How did you re-acclimate him to his tank after treatment
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #13 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It could be due to the water movement-Some of the Long fin males can get stressed and some tolerate it without any issue. Some will tolerate it for months and once they mature a bit more-they can start having problems with it.

IMO/E-as males mature they sometimes will not be very active to start with. Sexually mature males normally don't swim non-stop or in constant movement-unless they have a reason-like in view of another fish-especially another Betta, when they swim around to explore-either looking for food or invaders or at feeding time or when you approach the tank or if something is wrong. This species being a surface dwelling, nest builder that establishes territory-tell us that they shouldn't be in constant movement by nature, however, they should swim about on occasion-just not all the time.

How did you re-acclimate him to his tank after treatment
I floated him in a baggie like they have at fish stores for about 15 minutes, and then after that went by I cut it open, and slowly added in the cleaned and warm water to the baggie little by little in 15 minute intervals. After about 2 hours I put him back into his tank.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #14 
SharkyTheBetta

Any idea about the ph of the water? Are his gills swollen or half opened? If so, he may be relying more on his labyrinth, so he's staying at the surface to gasp air.
SharkyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #15 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyTheBetta View Post
Any idea about the ph of the water? Are his gills swollen or half opened? If so, he may be relying more on his labyrinth, so he's staying at the surface to gasp air.
I don't have a clue about the water ph at all. His gills are fine though, I've been keeping a close eye on him and he's fine aside from weird clamping. he's now started staying at the bottom of his tank instead though...
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #16 
tnvol

Mine just started doing the same thing. He swims to the surface and just hangs there for minutes at a time. Then he starts swimming around in circles really fast with his whole head out of the water like he is trying to jump out of the tank. He will swim to the bottom and lay on his side as well. He just started it this morning.
tnvol is offline   Reply With Quote