Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #1 
Sagat

Is my betta fat or just growing?

I can't tell if my betta's just getting fat or if he's growing. He hasn't developed SBD or anything, so I'm fairly sure he isn't constipated or hugely overfed. Before I do something like cut back on his food until he looks 'right', I figured I would ask here.

Some observations I've had of him over the last week:
  • Two weekends ago - My boy went into my new 20L
  • Early last week, he developed small, symmetric bumps on his caudal penducle (symmetrically on both sides). As the week went on, I just chalked it up to muscle growth (first image)
  • Late last week, I caught him eviscerating an algae wafer
  • Tonight, I caught the little bugger with his face inside an old zucchini trying to gut it, but it didn't look like he ate anything. When I went to put a new slice in for them, my betta went right for the zucchi and started ripping seeds out of it and eating at least one of them. (last image)
Behavior
His behavior is completely the same, which basically consists of him swimming laps across my 20L tank all day with breaks to chase the endlers back into the corner of the tank he decided they should live in.

Feeding Schedule
I've been feeding him 1-2 betta bites, 2x a day. 2 or 3 times last week, he got brine shrimp (usually 3, but on Saturday, I accidentally squirted too many in (all of which he ate before they hit the bottom).

His tank has all sorts of plants, as well as MTS and pond snails. When he first got introduced to the tank, the first thing he did upon being released was seek out a pond snail and chomp it.
Attached Images

Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Looks like he might be constipated, if you've seen him poop then he's being overfed.

treatment for constipation::fasting for a couple days and 1tsp of non-scented plain epsoms/gallon for a few days (just like you would with AQ salt -- frequent water changes, replacing the amount of salt you removed with the water change)

If its over feeding then just fast him for a couple days and you should see a difference
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #3 
Myates

No reason to treat him for anything.. you can't "see" constipation, nor is he bloated.. don't need to put him through stress of treatment.

He's just being a piggy.. it's normal to see roundness after a good meal. Just make sure he doesn't go overboard on the added foods.. but otherwise he looks fine/normal.. just roundness on the sides a bit, but his belly isn't extended.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #4 
Sagat

Yeah he didn't have the usual tummy bulge that accompanies overeating, but it's hard to tell if he's pooping in the planted tank. I saw some white stuff that could have been poop, but that was most likely zucchini mush that got stuck to his body.

If he continues to snack on the things in the tank, should I discontinue feeding his regular food, or quarantine him to get him on a regular diet?
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

My females look the same when I feed algae wafers or veggies so here's what I've started doing, I don't feed wafers or veggies daily. You can also try feeding those items after lights out to try to lessen his pigginess.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote