Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 
itamag

Internal Paraistes Cured?

Hi. I thought my fish had internal parasites, because he was thin and had stringy white feces. I was already going to buy him his meds, but before I noticed that him pooping. His feces were normal on the far edge, and seemed a bit as if he was contasipated, but on the edge near him they were stringy. I noticed him poop again today (a day after) and it is the same - normal feces on one side (not contasipated) and stringy on the other side. What does that mean?

EDIT: He's also getting fatter lately..
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon for a Betta to have internal parasites at low levels all their life-usually they will rid excessive amounts on their own-along with the immune response and not be symptomatic.

Not all white stringy feces means internal parasites or the lack of white stringy feces means they don't have them.

You can have different S/S with different kinds of internal parasites. Usually when they are problematic for the fish-you will see a strong appetite but this fish will be in poor condition-thinning at the top line, emaciation, pop-belly, may or may not have fecal changes, lethargic, clamped, buoyancy and deformity of the spine due to poor nutrient intake even though they are still eating- to name a few Signs/symptoms.

Some white stringy or color and texture changes in the feces can be due to stress and/or diet related and will resolve on its own.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote