Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #1 
GhostFeather

Beef Heart Recipie

Hi,
I got this from the IBC FaceBook page.
I never tried BeefHeart,but might give it a try.
Thought I would gather some opinions first!
Bill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3YQ5kr01m0

Last edited by GhostFeather; 01-08-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link!!!!
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #2 
Myates

Ahh.. yeah, EliteBetta. That recipe is good, it's pretty much what others use in their mix.

Just be very careful and remove the tissue/veins, etc and it should be fine.

Can also use shrimp and different types of fish - I just use the basic tilapia when I make my fish mash.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Personally, I won't use flesh from warm blooded animals for fish food-due to it being hard for them to process the saturated fats and stress their digestive tract. Small amount on occasion usually will not hurt-but you will want to keep your water temp fairly high-in the upper 80'sF to help them metabolize the saturated fats. Both-long term high temps and saturated fat can be a cause of shorten longevity, fatty liver disease, kidney disease and compromised immune response-IMO/E.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #4 
registereduser

Plus it just doesn't seem right, not natural unless you have a piranha
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Bettas only need enough fat to use as energy so that they can utilize their protein more efficiently. Beef is not a low fat protein source and as Oldfishlady said, it can lead to fatty liver disease in betta fish if fed in excess...That being said, a diet too rich in protein can also be harmful if fed long term...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #6 
MSG

Funny, I saw that video yesterday.

Very well done video by EliteBetta.

I don't know if I would go through all that trouble to make a pureed cow heart mixture for the newborn betta fry.

Anyone who wants to try to make that enriched fry food.......

Be aware all the ingredients & the supplements should cost you at least $35-$50.

I thought this video was made for the people who are raising FRY & juvies.

I'm a bit surprised EliteB fed the heart mixture to his adult betta. It seemed like that betta had enough belly fat to last a whole month without food.

Also the trimmings of connective tissue & fats that EliteB removed from the heart, can be cut up into medium sized (Parmentier) 1/2" chunks & frozen. You can use the leftover heart trimmings to treat your "ACTIVE" dog over the course of 2 weeks.

While it is considered WASTE material, it should still be more nutritious & healthier than feeding your pooch doggie treats filled with grains & mechanically separated proteins, full of all sort of preservatives and other unlisted chemicals.

If you want to feed your betta a NATURAL diet, then maybe you shouldn't offer them Omega 1 products since they contains SALMON & ROCKFISH instead of the bugs/worms that bettas eat in their natural mud filled rice puddles.

Here's what a rockfish looks like.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Very well done video by EliteBetta.

I don't know if I would go through all that trouble to make a pureed cow heart mixture for the newborn betta fry.

Anyone who wants to try to make that enriched fry food.......

Be aware all the ingredients & the supplements should cost you at least $35-$50.

I thought this video was made for the people who are raising FRY & juvies.

I'm a bit surprised EliteB fed the heart mixture to his adult betta. It seemed like that betta had enough belly fat to last a whole month without food.

Also the trimmings of connective tissue & fats that EliteB removed from the heart, can be cut up into medium sized (Parmentier) 1/2" chunks & frozen. You can use the leftover heart trimmings to treat your "ACTIVE" dog over the course of 2 weeks.

While it is considered WASTE material, it should still be more nutritious & healthier than feeding your pooch doggie treats filled with grains & mechanically separated proteins, full of all sort of preservatives and other unlisted chemicals.

If you want to feed your betta a NATURAL diet, then maybe you shouldn't offer them Omega 1 products since they contains SALMON & ROCKFISH instead of the bugs/worms that bettas eat in their natural mud filled rice puddles.

Here's what a rockfish looks like.
Thank you. That's why byproduct meal is not as bad for carnivorous/omnivorous pets as people make it out to be. But I think some grain is good. it acts as an extender for the proteins and provides fiber.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

I always wonder how healthy it is for fish in the long-term that have had their growth pushed along as a fry. That does seem to be the main reason for feeding beef heart (I think discus people feed it for the same reasons) and I wonder whether being made to grow as fast as possible does any damage that might not show up until later on.

It just seems to me that some breeders have their fish hit adult size incredibly fast and I'm on the fence as to whether that is a good or bad thing.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I always wonder how healthy it is for fish in the long-term that have had their growth pushed along as a fry. That does seem to be the main reason for feeding beef heart (I think discus people feed it for the same reasons) and I wonder whether being made to grow as fast as possible does any damage that might not show up until later on.

It just seems to me that some breeders have their fish hit adult size incredibly fast and I'm on the fence as to whether that is a good or bad thing.
I don't think it's healthy...whenever something is done do fast, a few things are missed...It's not healthy to build muscle too fast either...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #10 
GhostFeather

Thanks for all the opinions!
I was not sure about the whole thing,I think I will pass on it.
Seems like it would make more water changes for me,and I have enough water changes to do-lol!!
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote