Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #1 
Firefly85

moss question

basicly do you like the moss balls? do the get funky?

what about java moss? how well does it grow/spread?

pros and cons to each, lay it on me

I am thinking a moss ball in every tank, and maybe java moss in the 20 gal
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

- Marimo Moss Balls
. Actually algae (algae killers kill this moss ball)
. Low light, no needed CO2
. Can live in any tank, no needed supplies
. Turn over a few times a week to prevent browning
. Very slow growing

Java Moss
. Real moss
. Slow growing (a few members had fast growing)
. Fish like to hide in the moss
. No need ferts, CO2, low lighting
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 PM   #3 
Firefly85

thanks for the info, I guess that if i want it it will work fine but not to expect it to grow or spread fast.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 
aemaki09

I absolutely love my java moss -- its low light, slow grower, basically its minimal care require

As for marimo -- the only experience Ive had with it is not such a good one -- got 1 ball a month ago from petsmart and since then its flattened out into almost a pancake!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
I absolutely love my java moss -- its low light, slow grower, basically its minimal care require

As for marimo -- the only experience Ive had with it is not such a good one -- got 1 ball a month ago from petsmart and since then its flattened out into almost a pancake!
Got mine NYE, and it is actually growing in size:
-Day 1: rinsed the ball and squeezed out the water, moved to a clean container, a lot of olive green stuff that were on the ball got rinsed off, ball is forest green color
Day 2: Changed to regular tap water for Marimo "Moses", low light next to the AQ, Fred noticed the ball and swam next to it.

Day 3-6: Same as above.

day 7: Rinsed ball, squeezed out all tap water from Moses, still round but not as "fluffly", introduced to the tank that has conditioner in the fresh water, Fred LOVES it, swam around it and tried to hide underneath it. His attention is so unlike that that he gave to the other round orange ping-pong ball that floats in the tank.

FYI: I am new to betta, I drowned my cactus and no plants survived under my care, so I hope Fred and Moses will be a record for me = D
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #6 
Firefly85

well i bought a moss ball today anyway to see how I like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #7 
Nothingness

Quote:

pull it out of the tank and roll it around in your palm to make it round again. Do this every water change as well as giving it a gentle squeeze in the old tank water. Should stay nice and round after that. In the wild it get rolled around the lake bottom via the currents so it keeps it shape but in captivity its up to us
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
pull it out of the tank and roll it around in your palm to make it round again. Do this every water change as well as giving it a gentle squeeze in the old tank water. Should stay nice and round after that. In the wild it get rolled around the lake bottom via the currents so it keeps it shape but in captivity its up to us

I literally rinse squeeze and roll a couple times a week and it just ends up flattening back out lol I can keep every other one of my plants alive and great looking, the marimo is the only one giving me troubles!

I still will recommend this plant to everyone that wants something easy -- because it is a very nice plant. BUT mine hates me :( I named it P.I.T.A. lol
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #9 
Otterfun

Quote:
I literally rinse squeeze and roll a couple times a week and it just ends up flattening back out lol I can keep every other one of my plants alive and great looking, the marimo is the only one giving me troubles!

I still will recommend this plant to everyone that wants something easy -- because it is a very nice plant. BUT mine hates me :( I named it P.I.T.A. lol
lol
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Got mine NYE, and it is actually growing in size:
-Day 1: rinsed the ball and squeezed out the water, moved to a clean container, a lot of olive green stuff that were on the ball got rinsed off, ball is forest green color
Day 2: Changed to regular tap water for Marimo "Moses", low light next to the AQ, Fred noticed the ball and swam next to it.

Day 3-6: Same as above.

day 7: Rinsed ball, squeezed out all tap water from Moses, still round but not as "fluffly", introduced to the tank that has conditioner in the fresh water, Fred LOVES it, swam around it and tried to hide underneath it. His attention is so unlike that that he gave to the other round orange ping-pong ball that floats in the tank.

FYI: I am new to betta, I drowned my cactus and no plants survived under my care, so I hope Fred and Moses will be a record for me = D
Oh thanks to aemaki09 and others for responding to my other Marimo moss post so I can do my QT.