Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #1 
Racoon293

Garlic juice?

I've seen garlic juice mentioned in the forums as a a way to encourage a betta to eat. Just wondering if its a special formula available at pet stores or can a homemade juice be made from fresh garlic cloves? I currently feed my fish aqueon color enhancing betta pellets. My fish likes these but I see good reviews of the NLS and Omega One foods here so I was thinking about switching. Just curious about the garlich juice though. Is the aqueon food considered a large pellet or small pellet?
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

Garlic juice isn't a petstore purchase, it can be found in supermarkets or doing it yourself. Personally I find it easier to get the pre-cut stuff and pour the juice onto the pellets but you can also crush garlic and achieve the same results.

From my experience Aqueon pellets are significantly larger the New Life Spectrum(NLS) but I have never had Omega one pellets so I can't comment. NLS is considered a small pellet.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #3 
RoMay

Me I get the garlic tablets, you know the squishy ones from the pharmacy section and use those. Just poke one open and instant garlic oil.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #4 
ZergyMonster

Also found this. Tells you some information about garlic juice/oil and where you can get it.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

There is actually a fish specific product called Garlic Guard, it is made by Seachem, the same people that bring you top not products like Prime, Flourish, Excel, and the like.

That being said, pretty much the same results can be garnered by just crushing the garlic as others have said before. I like the Garlic Guard because it means I don't have to crush it up myself every time, and it is cheap and convenient. That being said, if you don't order online a lot, you probably won't be able to find it in stores so you are better off just making it yourself.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #6 
Racoon293

Thanks guys. I got a few more questions about food. How does the aqueon brand stack up nutrition wise to the NLS? And with the aqueon being a larger pellet, how many should i give to a female betta? Currently I give 3 pellets twice a day mon. thru fri. , 1 or 2 freeze dried blood worms on Saturday. And fast on Sunday. Is this a good feeding regimen?
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote