Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #11 
Myates

Exactly, and that is what majority of the breeders are doing. We can't really change the longevity by all that much - but breeders who sell their fish do aim for healthy, if they sold weak fish then they wouldn't sell any because word of mouth will get out in the community. So the health is part of the whole package that breeders (including show breeders) do aim for. They want healthy, strong fish to breed and to show and sell to others. You'd be surprised how big the actual betta community is out there. This forum doesn't even rank in the % hehe
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #12 
registereduser

Didn't today's betta splendens come from betta imbellis which were much less aggressive?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #13 
Myates

Nope, they are Betta splendens.. same species as the wild, but alternated to what we see in pet stores. The wild version have short fins, dark body with iridescent coloring.. and they are just as territorial and aggressive as the ones we have as pets.. actually, our version is a bit tamer due to us being able to keep females together. Naturally females are solo creatures who don't stake claim to territory.

Imbellis is a different sub species and should not be kept with the splendens (wild or man made version).
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #14 
Bluewind

What I was talking about is breeding for health and socialbility. I would cull fish with health problems, tail bitters, females who attack other sorrority members, ones that are overly agressive as well as overly shy, and so on. In other words, fish that are bboth physically and psycologically healthy. Good appatites, active, and healthy Bettas for people to enjoy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #15 
Myates

Even by culling to where you ONLY have passive fish, each spawn from them (and from those, and then those, and so on) will always have majority aggressive bettas. You can't really determine how calm a fish is.. it took one of my boys two years before he first started tail biting. The females who are attacking other females are doing what is nature to them. Decades upon decades of breeding these fish have yet to produce a sociable betta - at least where they all can live peacefully. Thousands of breeders have tried, but it's in their nature, they are fish and can't be trained to be nice.
To have a semi successful grouping of males and females, do what the people who have them do - get a 75g+ tank and plant it very very heavily. Keeping them like that doesn't make them docile, and breeding from ones who live like that doesn't either.

It's a dream to many to have friendly, sociable bettas.. but after over a hundred years of breeding them it hasn't been able to happen yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #16 
registereduser

LadyV you might want to look into getting some Imbellis! From what I've read they can live together peacefully and are attractive but not much variation in color.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #17 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Interesting thread, LV. Thanks.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #18 
chardzard

i like wat ur asking i have heard or show breaders cuting the tails for perfic fins but from wat i have lean in the pass 2 years from my bettas is if u have a large tank they will live a fairly peacefull life but if u take out 1 of them for a day n put it back war will break out, right now i have some 7months olds wat look like plakat liveing in half of a 60gal drum n all fins r still in tack oh n they r 3 females guppys with them too stiill have all fins hehe but no babys tho bettas can live with other fish if they have room to swin i have a old fiberglass bath tub with two 3-4 month spawn growing out in it 1 of my nefews trow in a few guppys swordtails n some mollys n again every 1 doin great but no babys r seen
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #19 
LadyVictorian

I mean I get it's nature but we bred it out of mice and trust me, it's nature in male mice domestic or wild to destroy each other and it's taken thousands of years to breed that aggression from mice (as mice were first domesticated in ancient China) In fact male mice are more aggressive than male betta's as even in the wild a male mouse will kill a retreating male to cut him from the gene pool. Male mice even go to the extream of gnawing off each other testies since they are fairly large. It's rather insane and even sadder most people don't know this and lead hundreds of male mice to a gruesome death.

Nor is breeding aggression and breeding for health an easy task. As I learned if a problem arises in a bloodline not even the healthy ones in the bloodline can be bred. The whole bloodline has to be stopped and you have to start over again with new stock. It's also tracking adults their whole life to see future problems arise which most mouse breeders do for many generations before they start even selling their mice.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Aggression: IMO it's not true that betta aggression was bred for. It's their basic nature. The difference is that in the wild they will remain in sororities while in captivity they will be isolated - a condition that will strengthen mentality.

For those who have spawned can try; 1. let one batch grow naturally. Do not move them, do not disturb them. Do water changes with them inside and don't refill by pouring but let the water flow slowly. 2. Constantly move batch 2 ... say every 3-4 weeks.

Watch the second batch become aggressive in no time, while the first batch will usually remain docile much longer. "Fight" them (meaning flare) and see which stresses out first.

Also compare a betta in a sorority since it hatched to a jarred individual since 2 months old. See the aggression difference. This applies to both males and females.

Age also influences aggression - older bettas are not as aggressive (in sororities) as younger bettas. I guess they're too mature to worry about senseless squabbles. LOL But don't be fooled, they will fight if challenged.

So if you want to create a more docile betta, don't disturb it too much, don't make it feel threatened/stressed. It should be more docile (not always - individual character also influences aggressiveness).

Theoretically - since wild species are more docile, cross breed them to wilds and selectively breed non aggressive pairs. They should eventually become less aggressive to a point where they can be housed together.

Unfortunately most betta hobbyists prefer their aggressive character thus will not breed for docile splendens.

Sorry for the long post
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote