Betta Fish Forum banner

Should I just dump this culture?

968 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Hopelessaddict101 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Have you tried just plain oats (I pour boiling water over mine and then wait until it cools to room temperature) with a bit of yeast sprinkled on top? I use that method for my MWs and it works really well. I just seeded a new culture the other day and it's already ready to be harvested.

In the bottom picture I would scrape those MWs off the side of the container and use them to seed a new culture. I don't think I would use any of the worms crawling around in the mould.

#6 ·
The best and easiest way I've been able to do it is to get oatmeal (quaker is the type I use) and bakers yeast.

I put some dry oatmeal in whatever I'm making the culture in and then sprinkle water on top. You want the oatmeal to be soggy, but not so much that theres extra water in the cup *if you have extra water either drain it or add a little more oats)
then put a spoonful of old culture into it and mix, then sprinkle bakers yeast on top.

I dont cook mine at all -- this makes it last longer, but still is just as effective as using cooked

You should start seeing new worms in 2-3 days. Reculture in 2-3 weeks.

#8 ·
I just use Instant Mashed Potatoes for mine,very cheap!
Just put the Instant Mashed Potatoes in your container,add enough treated tap water to just wet them a little,I leave mine a little stiff,then use the yeast and starter culture.
Also,as I posted before,if you have a large culture and want some for the future,you can place part of it in your fridge,pull it out months later and will be as good as a new starter culture you buy.
I have 2 active cultures on my table and 4 in my extra fridge.
The ones in the fridge will develope some mold,just spoon it out before you start a new culture.

#9 ·
No problem! Hopefully this time it works for you!

I just recultured every single one of mine today so it was all fresh on my mind!

Goodluck

#11 ·
It's the dairy and normal bread has a few additives that can spoil.

Just an FYI the yeast you're looking for will be either with the spices or with the flour/starch (my store has them both in the same place, some don't) and will be in little packets. You can get it in little jars, but I never see those. I use about 1/2 a packet each time I start a new culture, just mix it into the oats. I've only had mold once, and it's because I left it too close to a heater vent >.< Mold LOVES heat!

#12 ·
Thank you. The heat would DEFINATELY explain the mould, a bit more too - it's summer here right now. :roll:

And what type of yeast is it called? Is it dry yeast or active yeast? (Or should it actually just be called - Bakers yeast?) :roll:

#13 ·
you want active yeast
but it should be under bakers yeast

#14 ·
Don't throw the culture just turn on your kettle and get a nice container of rolled oats. Pour boiling water on and wait for it to cool make sure it isn't to wet or too dry. Then stick a spoon full of your current culture in and find it a nice cool place to sit. Voila the culture will sting really bad however, that is here the yeast omes in, it keep the smell down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.