Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #261 
birdielikestomatoes

Vegetarian Jambalaya! I made this a few days ago for my fam and it was YUMMY. Even my dad who isn't keen on veggie dishes loved it.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/maind.../Jambalaya.htm

Jambalaya is a spicy southern rice dish with tomatoes and veggies. This vegetarian jambalaya recipe is Creole style, which means that the rice is simmered in tomato paste, rather than just water. Although this recipe calls for zucchini and okra, the veggies that you use are really up to you. Eggplant, mushrooms or yellow squash would also work great. This vegetarian and vegan jambalaya recipe cooks up a generous amount, so plan on having leftovers!

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 zuchinnis, sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups okra, fresh or frozen)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes OR 4 large tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup mock meat, such as Gimme Lean or Morningstar Farms Crumbles (optional)
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne (or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
Preparation:

In a large bowl, mix tomato paste with vegetable broth until smooth and set aside. In a large pot, sautee onion, garlic, celery and green pepper until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add uncooked rice and allow rice to toast for one minute, stirring. Add tomato and broth mixture. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a separate skillet, sautee the okra, zucchini and mock meat until just barely cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
After the rice has cooked about 10 minutes, add the sauteed mock meat and veggies, spices and diced tomatoes, stirring well. Cover, and allow to simmer 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are fullly cooked and rice is soft. Serve with hot sauce if desired, and enjoy!
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #262 
cjayBetta

Interesting
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #263 
whiskandbowl

Just had this the other day, it was soooo good over steamed rice.
Measurements are approximate, that's just how I cook LOL

-4 chicken thighs, no skin
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup soy sauce
-1/2 cup pineapple juice
-1/4 to 1/2 cup pineapple chunks, rings, whatever
-sprinkle of red pepper flakes
-sprinkle of dried ginger.
I also added about a TBSP of hoisin sauce, because I ran out of soy.

Mix everything together and cook in crock pot on low for about 4-5 hours. Serve over rice
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #264 
dramaqueen
Banned

Ooh that sounds good!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #265 
Toecutter2012

This is my tried and true New England Clam Chowder. You can use canned clams if you like. According to my spouse, this recipe rivals restaurant quality clam chowder, which most likely came out of a can anyways. The quantity of garlic makes all the difference in the taste. If using fresh clams, make sure they are closed tight. Any open shells that refuse to close need to be discarded. Follow this recipe exactly and you'll get compliments up the yingyang...

New England Clam Chowder

18 med. To large clams, fresh OR canned, 2-3 small cans
7-8 strips of bacon
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 whole head of garlic, peeled and minced
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
Fresh thyme leaves - 1 tsp.
3 Russet potatoes, cut into small cubes

1. Scrub clams and put them in a large pot w/cover. Add 1 cup white wine and turn heat on high and cover until boiling. Look right away to see if any clams open up. The second a clam opens up, immediately remove to another bowl to cool. Clam meat must not be overcooked at this point - they will cook more later. When cool, chop up in small pieces. I use a small food processor and hit the pulse button once or twice but not too much. KEEP THE LIQUID IN THE POT.

2. Fry bacon up and keep the bacon grease. Keep the bacon on a paper towel to drain excess grease.

3. Peel and cut up 3 medium size potatoes into small cubes.

4. Fry the potato cubes - stirring frequently - in the bacon grease on medium heat for 5 minutes.

5. Chop up onion and celery stalk in small pieces. Put garlic cloves in food processor and mince very finely.

6. Add the chopped onion, celery and garlic to the fried potato cubes and cook another 3 minutes under medium heat. Stir frequently.

7. Transfer potatoes, onion, celery and garlic mixture and clam meat to a medium pot. Add thyme leaves.

8. Add cup white wine and 1 cup of the liquid from steaming the clams to the pot. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes on medium heat.

9. Gradually add 1 cup of whole milk to the mix. Then gradually add 1 cup of the heavy whipping cream. Stir slowly and add 1 Tablespoon of butter.

DO NOT ALLOW CHOWDER TO BOIL. Stir until chowder thickens. For thicker chowder, mix a tablespoon of flour to c. water and add to thicken. Serve piping hot. Sprinkle the bacon pieces and add parsley if desired.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Toecutter2012; 01-11-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Toecutter2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #266 
SomethingWitty

Okay so you all MUST try this!
My mom made up this recipe... although I'm sure there are variations out there!

Chicken Cucumber Wraps

• Boneless Skinless Chicken (about one chicken breast per person)
• Lemon Pepper (optional but delicious)
• Family size MAZZIOS ranch dressing (you can use any ranch but trust me, Mazzios is best)
• Tortillas
• Onions (very optional)
• Cucumber (peeled)

That's it!

○ Boil chicken breasts and lemon pepper (however much lemon pepper you want).
○ Shred or cut chicken into bite size pieces and place in fridge to cool.
○ Cut cucumbers into bite size pieces
○ When chicken is cool - mix chicken, cucumber, and ranch together.
○ Plop on a tortilla, roll it up like a burrito, and enjoy!

Man these are so easy, delicious, and I want one right now.
SomethingWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #267 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds yummy and healthy!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #268 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
I made these at Christmas and they're SO GOOD! :D

Ingredients:

2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 oz. Dried Cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chunks or chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #269 
fleetfish

Glorious Roasted Cauliflower

2 big fat heads of cauliflower
Coarse ground black pepper
Kosher salt
Olive oil
Fresh Parmesan Cheese, grated
A few squirts of lemon juice

Heat your oven to 410.

Cut the cauliflower into equal peices, wash and place on a metal sheet covered with parchment paper or use a deeper pan and forget about the paper.

Use a few pinches of salt and a very liberal amound of pepper. Crop dust your florets.

In this recipe, Olive Oil is your bestest friend, EVER, so count a few glugs and you're all set.

Toss the oil in and make sure to coat every floret so that they roast nice and brown.

Leave in the oven for ohhhh . . . an hour. It might just drive you crazy though because the smell is glorious :)

You can serve the cauliflower as it is, toss it with pasta, or for a real treat roast some garlic and/or grape tomatoes. And feel free to add fresh herbs and whatever else.

I devour it with parmesan cheese, hot pepper flakes and lemon juice on top of spaghetti. It's my favourite thing in the world to eat ... I can eat it at least three times a week.

Last edited by fleetfish; 01-23-2013 at 09:29 PM.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #270 
RoMay

Speaking of rice, I want to share a secret. You can say this is rice for people who shouldn't touch the stuff. I have tried the stove, the rice maker both white version and the asian verison always turned it into unedable slop or singed bricks. Should note it DOES NOT work with mexican rice. Do not ask me why, it just doesn't. I have tried it turned out a disaster. On the plus side you will be doing double duty. The microwave will be very easy to clean after this.

Microwave right.

1.Get a thick deep bowl. I say thick because standard thin has a tendicy to randomly exsplode.

2.For a 2 person serving put in the bowl 1/2 cup rice to A cup and a half of water. It's okay if you add a bit more in fear of dried rice but no more then a fourth

3.Microwave 5 minutes uncovered, stir (whipe up any mess if your using sticky rice) if the rice looks like it contians mostiure microwave another 5 minutes uncovered; if it's a bit dry add enough water to add a bit mosture the rice. So nuke 10 minutes in all.

4.Fluff, if a considerable amount of mosture remains Cover with a regular old microwave safe plate microwave for 3 minutes. If it's only a little bit moist or dry add a fourth cup of water.

5.Fluff, recover, sit aside.

The rice will be a bit under cooked but it'll finish cooking it's okay.

In the mean time now would be a good time to whipe down the microwave. I do mean that literally not only will your rice be good to go when your done, but also the steam loosens up the junk in the microwave. HOWEVER if you didn't listen to me about whiping up the mess if you use sticky rice you probably have sticky glue. You'll have to soak your glass plate, or use a rag to soak the bottem of your nuke.

I garentee this recipie is idiot proof, unless of course your gifted.

Last edited by RoMay; 01-25-2013 at 07:39 AM.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote